No Such Thing as Color

Roses are red, violets are blue

What if no color was true?

We all bleed red and all see blue skies,

Yet different skin equals hate in our eyes.

It may not happen to him nor I,

And because of the difference,

many races doubt their lives.

It leads to a life of crime and untrustworthy cops,

A race to the end of this was all he thought.

And now growing up it still proceeds to happen,

So he keeps his head down in frustration;

An observant life and no confrontations.

He sees white like you say black

Except he is at wrong for saying something back.

Wanting to live a life so full while getting restrained

But besides skin color, they are the same.

Only a white person gets a police citation,

Until the world makes a change, no one will win.

We will all suffer from this name game

It should be taken more serious for it is insidious.

All races struggle to be superior

Why does color make us judge the legitimacy of a man’s exterior and interior?

Eye to eye, hand in hand

Equal is where I stand.

Parker Houck, Portrait of Parker and Michael, Kansas City, February 25th, 2019. All rights reserved.

I recently had a talk with an old high school friend, Michael Combs. We discussed differences between our races and what he personally deals with due to the color of his skin. In my class that I am taking at UMKC, Anchor 214 European Culture, we were assigned to read the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. In Maus, a comic book, one is able to find numerous hardships that the Jews had to overcome during the Holocaust. The story is about the author’s Jewish father, who endured the Holocaust from start to finish. Spiegelman’s intent for writing this comic was to not only try to fully understand his culture’s history during the Holocaust but to also find his purpose as a modern day Jew. He used animal masks to identify and symbolize different social groups; Jews, for example, wore masks that portrayed witty mice trying to run from the authority of German soldiers that were seen as cats. I would like to connect my conversation with Michael to these symbols used in the book to further explain how sometimes, covering identity takes away from who you want to be- the real you, an uncovered face in society who is seen for who they are. Michael learned at a young age that he was not going to be seen the same as everyone else. After racing a white boy in elementary school and being called out for his dark skin, he realized his life was always going to be different. During my talk with him, he said something that stuck out to me: “As long as people see color there isn’t much we can do” (03:40). After growing up, he told me that he has consciously decided to embrace adversity and stands up for who he is as a man, which has shown his true identity. Michael does not need a mask like the characters in Maus wore, but a lot of cultures around the world feel they need to cover up who they are for safety reasons and to dodge harm. Justice for discrimination is a never-ending, ongoing story that many cultures will have to deal with for generations. Until the world does not see color or difference anymore, discrimination will always be a problem.

Avatar photo

Author: Parker C Houck

My name is Parker Houck I am an undergraduate at UMKC seeking a BS in Health Sciences. I enjoy fitness and living a healthy lifestyle. I like this course (European History) because you learn the psychological tactics used in the war. And the different aspects of life that different cultures lived in.

2 thoughts on “No Such Thing as Color”

1. Parkers poems central theme was discrimination and racism. I picked Parkers poem because is covered almost the exact topics that I tried to portray in my poem. We also picked poems instead of a story. I found it easier to evaluate a poem like mine rather than a story. His poem related to real world problems today because even today black people are struggling from hate from others just as the Nazis were discriminating on Jewish people. Parker talks about in his poem “Yet different skin equals hate in our eyes” Just as the Nazis had hated the Jews there wasn’t a reason besides religion and the same goes today just because someone’s skin color isn’t the same as yours does not mean they aren’t a human being. He also states, “It leads to a life of crime and untrustworthy cops” This relates to the class because the SS was corrupt and untrustworthy just pillaging people in Europe. The same goes for today, black people are discriminated and racially profiled. We see this with cops shooting black people but taking a different approach towards a white person. Parker supports this claim by saying “Only a white person gets a police citation”. We both also an overall theme of racism but we also talked about how it needs to stop. Parker says towards the end “Until the world makes a change, no one will win”. This poem is extremely important because it reveals problems that are happening today in our society.

2. No Such Thing as Color by Paker C Houck is a poem about his old high school friend, Michael Comb’s personal experiences dealing with discrimination because of the color of his skin. In the poem, he goes into depth by saying “We all bleed red and all see blue skies. Yet different skin equals hate in our eyes.” This verse respects by saying everyone is the same from the inside, yet just because the color of their skin is different, there’s also hate. Just like the learning from our class Jews were treated differently by those around them because of the faith they follow. Paker then talks about certain races doubting their lives because of untrustworthy cops. “So, he keeps his head down in frustration; Except he is at wrong for saying something back.” In today society, there are certain races that feel like they can’t trust those who are supposed to protect us. Those who were once trustful neighbors turned on each other and after those Jews felt unsafe. Though Paker’s poem and the information are kinds of different is in slightly different both groups still has to face discrimination. “Why does color make us judge the legitimacy of a man’s exterior and interior?