Women in Advertising

Most of the time the only women that are seen on television or in advertisements are beautiful, tall, and thin. This is all a hoax. Even these ridiculously thin women are edited and airbrushed to fit the “image” of whatever company they are representing. According to an article I read, an even bigger problem, in addition to the unrealistic body proportions and beauty, is the way women are represented in most commercials. I’ve come across a lot of commercials and advertising where the woman’s role is subservient to men. Children watch these advertisements on TV or see them in magazines and start to think that women are valued less than men. Girls begin to think that no one will want to hear what they have to say so they only concern themselves with their appearance. I think this is appalling. What advertisers are doing by misrepresenting women can have a serious impact on a young girl’s self image. This can often lead to low self-esteem, depression, and eating disorders. To learn more about that, please read my previous blog.

1 thought on “Women in Advertising”

1. I cannot believe the world has gotten even more superficial. Why can't women be appreciated and respected just as much as men? Is it too much to ask for?