Taking Care of Ourselves

As we come to the end of September, I’d like to mention that it was Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. Ovarian cancer is an illness that women are often unaware that they have because the symptoms can go unnoticed or ignored. Because of this, ovarian cancer can go undetected for several months, and once discovered, the hopes of survival are often low.

Awareness of ovarian cancer is one way to get women informed about this disease. In a recent article, I found one woman’s story about how she faced ovarian cancer enlightening. But it also made me think about the low priority women put on themselves. In her story, she said that although she was not feeling well, she just ignored it. She was tired, had lost her appetite, and was losing weight. But she also had a family to look after, so she put them first before her own health. This is typical of the care-giving nature of women; however, it’s a behavior that is putting women’s health in jeopardy. Because we, as mothers and wives, tend to the needs of others, we’ve become used to ignoring our own needs. Women need to stop doing this. Being good care-givers means taking care of ourselves too, and we should start making ourselves a priority before it is too late.

More information is emerging to help bring hope and support to women with ovarian cancer. Resources such as Gilda’s Club, SHARE, and Ovarian Cancer National Alliance are available to help women with ovarian cancer.

1 thought on “Taking Care of Ourselves”

1. I really agree Patsy. I mean from my own experience I have done this. I mean i am not a mother or wife, but i tend to put others needs before my own and I have suffered for it in the past. I need to stop doing this for the betterment of my health and also since I am going into the medical field.I mean, how am i going to tell my patients to take care of themselves if i am not doing it myself. I think the word for that is "hypocrite". I think this was a great topic and something I think many women should hear about because sometimes a simple diagnostic test could save their lives.