Jefferson Street to Broadway Boulevard

My assigned area is a portion of West 33rd Street to the beginning of Linwood Boulevard. The type of uses that currently characterize the area are primarily mixed use. There are commercial businesses on both the North and South sides of my blocks – such as Browne’s Irish Marketplace on the corner of West 33rd Street and Pennsylvania Avenue and Sheng Chinese restaurant on the corner of West 33rd Street and Broadway Boulevard – but there are also a small number of residential apartment buildings.

One major change that I observed when researching these blocks was the dramatic decrease in density that occurred in the area from 1950 to present day. In 1950, a number of residential homes lined the streets. In 2015, these homes no longer exist and have been replaced with parking lots on both the North and South sides of West 33rd Street.

A figure-ground diagram of Jefferson St. to Broadway Blvd. displaying conditions in 1950
A figure-ground diagram of Jefferson St. to Broadway Blvd. displaying conditions in present day.
A figure-ground diagram of Jefferson St. to Broadway Blvd. displaying conditions in present day

One thought on “Jefferson Street to Broadway Boulevard