Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® asks men to walk a mile in women’s high-heeled shoes. Walking in women’s shoes helps men better understand and appreciate women’s experiences, thus changing perspectives, helping improve gender relationships and decreasing the potential for violence.
Since 2007, over 1,000 have people participated in Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® at UMKC. Their participation helped raise awareness of rape, sexual assault, and gender violence, as well as funds for the UMKC Women’s Center and Violence Prevention and Response Program.
The 2018 Walk will be held on Thursday, September 27, 5:30 p.m. at the University Playhouse (51st and Holmes Streets). Free parking for community members is available on the 4th and 5th levels of the Oak Street parking garage a (click here for a map). Please note that parking anywhere else without a UMKC parking pass may result in ticketing.
Registration is now open! You can register online here: http://www.umkcalumni.com/WalkMile2018 Please note that we will have a limited number of high heels available for walkers — we encourage walkers to BYOS (bring your own shoes). People of all genders and ages are welcome to walk. Wearing high heels is encouraged, but not required.
- $0 – Students
- $25 – UMKC faculty and staff ($20 tax-deductible)
- $50 – Community ($45 tax-deductible)
Fees for walkers include a t-shirt. Online registration will close after Tuesday, September 25. You can also register in person at the event. Please note that walker registration fees for UMKC faculty and staff and community members will increase by $5 for walk-in registrants.
- Sandals — $250 ($210 is tax-deductible.) Includes registration for two walkers.
- Ballet Flats — $500 ($420 is tax-deductible.) Includes registration for four walkers.
- Kitten Heels — $1,000 ($880 is tax-deductible.) Includes registration for six walkers.
- Mary Jane Pumps — $2,500 ($2,340 is tax-deductible.) Includes registration for eight walkers.
- Red Stilettos — $5,000 ($4,800 is tax-deductible.) Includes registration for ten walkers.
- Presenting — $10,000 ($9,600 is tax-deductible.) Includes registration for twenty walkers.
To register as a sponsor, please fill out the online form.
If you would like to register for or sponsor our event and will be paying by UMKC MoCode or check, please complete this form and mail it to the UMKC Women’s Center at the address below:
Director, UMKC Women’s Center
105 Haag Hall
5120 Rockhill Road
University of Missouri-Kansas City
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
Tables are available for corporate, non-profit, and campus sponsors at the following costs:
- Corporate tables – $100 (includes: 6ft table, 2 chairs, 2 t-shirts)
- Non-profit tables – $65 (includes: 6ft table, 2 chairs, 2 t-shirts)
- UMKC department– $50 (includes: 6ft table, 2 chairs, 2 t-shirts)
- UMKC student organization – $25 (includes: 6ft table, 2 chairs, 2 t-shirts)
These tables are for the distribution of information only and the sale of merchandise is not permitted. To reserve a table, please contact Brenda Bethman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816.235.1643
Co-sponsored by the Violence Prevention and Response Program