Meet the Women’s Center’s New Graduate Assistant, Alison Kendall

By Alison Kendall

Hello! I am Alison Kendall, the new graduate assistant at UMKC’s Women’s Center! I attended UMKC as an undergraduate, where I obtained a bachelor’s in psychology. I enjoyed my time as a Roo so much that I decided to continue my journey here as a graduate student. Seeking a master’s in clinical mental health counseling, I have always been passionate about helping others deal with the tumultuous nature of our world. Following the reception of my degree, I aspire to specialize in caring for the mental health of LGBTQIA+ individuals and families. Empowering others to embrace their individuality, connect with their community, and care of themselves in all forms are the lessons I intend to impart as a future counselor and as a graduate assistant at the Women’s Center.

The Women’s Center goal of fostering gender equity speaks to me. Growing up in the rural Midwest highlighted the dire lack of inclusive spaces within my community. What also drew me in is the Women’s Center’s ability to combine feminist education with creative expression. The Women’s Center blog flexes creative op-eds which inform and entertain, the use of arts in the context of healing renders beautiful pieces in tandem with alleviating stress, and the Women’s Center connection with the artistic community sheds light on the many artists whose expression has been snuffed for most of history. I look forward to offering my own creative perspective to the Women’s Center through therapeutic events, fresh ideas, and stimulating discussion amongst the student body.

My favorite past times are journaling and writing short story fiction, discovering new restaurants in Kansas City, and watching horror and thriller films. I am eager to continue the Women’s Center tradition in educating, and advocating, and supporting my fellow students, faculty, and community.