Meet Laura Yac! New Intern at the Women’s Center

By Laura Yac

Hello All! My name is Laura Yac. I am currently a senior here at UMKC! I am expected to graduate May 2022 with a bachelor’s in health science. I have spent all four years of my degree here at UMKC and loved every second of it. Attending UMKC has allowed me to stay close to home which has been an attribute to my success in school. Having the support of my family and friends has helped me through many obstacles and made me the person I am today.

With that in mind, when thinking of my internship for my last semester, the Women’s Center came to mind. I have very strong and hardworking women in my life who strive to be the best version of themselves. They stand up for their rights and do not let any stereotypes or ideologies get in their way. I want to be able to portray that same feeling to others and my future children. While working at the Women Center, I hope to learn how to advocate not only for myself but for others. I think that will be an easy task while being surrounded by strong individuals who want the same outcome. The Women Center is a safe space, and I can’t wait to share that with others.

Overall, I am so excited for the events and programs we will be sharing this semester with students and community members. I also hope to bring new ideas and events to the Women Center alongside the other staff members and have a great semester!

Picture Description: To get to know me better here is a picture of my fiancé and myself at Disney World. We were able to experience our childhood dream and fulfill our inner child taste for sweets.