Meet Our New Blog Editor, Skye

• by

By Skye VanLanduyt

Hello! My name is Skye VanLanduyt. I’ve just joined the Women’s Center as the blog editor this semester. I graduated from Baker University in May 2019 with a B.A in English (emphasis in creative writing) and a minor in gender studies. In addition to being the editor, I intern with the Women’s Foundation in Kansas City.

I grew up in a supportive family who encouraged me to follow my dreams no matter how big or small. I didn’t realize my gender or sexuality could threaten my goals until I started college. I credit my professors for unveiling the truth about women’s progress. I was horrified, challenged, and inspired by stories of women who fought and succumbed to the barriers against them. I begged my professors to let me focus my essays around feminist ideology, gender hierarchies, and issues about femininity and masculinity. I am passionate about finding ways to become more involved in helping women achieve equality.

Since graduating, I’ve worked on numerous municipal and congressional campaigns in the Kansas City area. My experiences working in politics and for women’s organizations is inspiring me to pursue a career fighting for women and the LGBTQIA community. I have future plans to earn a master’s degree in Public Administration and/or Queer and Sexuality Studies at UMKC.

I’m interested in being part of the Women’s Center at UMKC because the Center directly impacts women in Kansas City. I believe in not only helping women’s voices be heard but educating them on how to be confident, strong, independent thinkers and leaders. I hope to gain a better understanding of how a nonprofit women’s organization runs. I believe these types of organizations are proactive, influential, and responsible for helping drive community involvement.