Event Preview: “I Am Enough!” Photo Campaign

By Ann Varner

Part of being a feminist is empowering yourself and others and reminding them that they are “enough.” When your friends are feeling down, it’s easy to remind them that they are smart enough, beautiful enough, and strong enough. However, we are our own harshest critics.

This campaign organized by the UMKC Women’s Center, UMKC Counseling Services, and Swinney Recreation Center will help you encourage yourself and others to face your biggest insecurities and realize that you are “good enough.” The goal of this movement is to help students reject the pursuit of what society deems as perfection and realize that all of us are perfect the way we are.

For this event, we will have whiteboards and markers with the words “I Am _______ Enough.” In the middle is where you will write something – for example, I am insecure about my looks and my intelligence. In the middle, I would write “beautiful” and “intelligent.” We’ll then take a picture of you holding your sign. This is to empower students and help them realize that we are all enough in our own way. I encourage you to come and participate in this event with a powerful message!

What: “I Am Enough!” Photo Campaign

Who: UMKC Women’s Center, UMKC Counseling Services, and Swinney Recreation Center

When: Wednesday, October 17, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Where: Miller Nichols Learning Center Lobby, 800 E. 51st Street

For more information, contact the UMKC Women’s Center at 816-235-1638 or email umkc-womens-center@umkc.edu.

See you there!