New Intern at the Women’s Center

By Nina Cherry

Hello! My name is Nina Cherry and I am thrilled to be working at the Women’s Center this semester!

I am a first year music major and my primary instrument is percussion. I chose UMKC for several reasons: the fantastic Conservatory of Music and Dance, the rich music history of Kansas City, along with the city’s and UMKC’s diversity and culture. I am from a tiny town (population 280) about 30 miles outside of Columbia, Missouri. There were only 17 kids in my graduating class! After attending the same small public school for thirteen years, I was ready for a change of scenery.

In addition to working at the Women’s Center, I am a singer-songwriter and perform at venues around Mid-Missouri. I plan to start performing out in Kansas City as well once I get settled in. Performing empowers and energizes me and I am looking forward to growing as both a musician and a person while at UMKC!

The Women’s Center is a great fit for me and I am so excited for the semester. I am especially looking forward to the Plaza Art Fair later this month. I want to be an advocate for other female musicians and artists.  My goal is to contribute to the progress of gender equity on UMKC’s campus, and within the community of Kansas City. Stop by and say hello!