Street Harassment will NEVER be okay!

by Ayo Aruwajoye

I asked some of my coworkers how they feel about street harassment and this is what they had to say about it…

“As a woman, I feel that street harassment is horrible, uncomfortable and unfair because I feel like I have to watch what I wear to prevent this from happening to me. That is so unfair because this shouldn’t be happening anyways. Street harassment should stop and this week’s awareness is so important because again, any awareness that is promoted is to help prevent and put a stop to issues we feel are demeaning, unjust, and disrespectful!”

-Maritza Gordillo

“Putting an end to street harassment is important because street harassment holds this idea that women exist only for the enjoyment of men. There is a fine line between compliments and harassment but very few people recognize that. I’ve been complimented plenty of times and it usually ends with a thank you, while harassment doesn’t seem to end. There was an incident a few weeks ago where I was leaving a gas station and a man asked if he could take me out sometime. I was flattered but told him that I had a boyfriend. He then followed me to my car repeatedly asking for my number, what my name was, if we could be friends, and again if he could take me out. That is harassment. When I got in my car I shut and locked my door, he was standing in front of my car and finally got embarrassed and yelled “forget you” as I drove off. I should never have to feel unsafe when walking to my car and I should never have to explain why I’m turning someone down.”

-Morgan Paul

SO LISTEN ……….

There is a BIG difference between “going for what you want” and “GOING FOR WHAT YOU WANT!” There is a boundary line that should not be crossed and is crossed so many times. RESPECT seems like such an easy word that should be understood by everyone but some people just don’t GET IT! Street Harassment is not okay and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Sincerely,

DON’T CALL ME “HEY BABY”!