Reflections on the Vagina Monologues

By Courtney Neaveill

On Thursday, February 16th – the UMKC Women’s Center produced a performance of the Vagina Monologues. Around 300 people packed the UMKC Student Union Theatre and intently watched and listened as twenty-one women performed nineteen different skits. The audience gasped as Tria Tatum performed “My Vagina Was My Village”, a painful recollection of the rape and beating a woman endured during the Bosnian War in the early 90’s.  Carolina Costa took on the charm and innocence of a six-year-old girl in her performance of “A Six-Year-Old Girl Was Asked”. The audience giggled along with Carolina’s character as she described the look and smell of her vagina. That giggle turned into a roar of laughter as Emily Boyer fanatically moaned on stage during her interpretation of “The Woman Who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy”. She bounced around on stage, flipping her hair and kicking her legs, as she imitated the ultimate orgasm as women from all different backgrounds experience it. 

For more on the Vagina Monologues, I inquired with Women’s Center intern, Carolina and Women’s Center employee, Tria for their thoughts on the event.

What were your feelings about the VM’s?

Carolina: When I found out I would be part of the Vagina Monologues cast I was nervous and excited, it was only a week away from the performance day. Before that, I was excited to watch the play, I had heard a lot about it working at the Women’s Center and I knew some of my co-workers were taking part in the performance. I was happy to collaborate with such a great cause and excited to see how everything would turn out!

Tria: I feel that the VM’s are a distinct expression of women’s issues all around the world.

Was there a particular piece that stood out to you – or that you could relate to the most?

Carolina: I laughed with every funny piece and really enjoyed “My Angry Vagina” and “The Woman Who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy”; but I was also very shocked with some of the saddest and terrifying pieces. “My Vagina was my Village” brought to life the horrible reality many women face in times of war; enacting those feelings and transferring them to the audience in such an effective way is a brilliant method to raise awareness in the issue of rape and rape camps many people are unfamiliar with.

Tria: I could not personally relate to a majority of the pieces. I have never been to a sex workshop, nor found love in the arms of women or enjoyed to give them pleasure, nor been beaten, mutilated or raped. I feel that the skit to which all women can relate is “Angry Vagina”.

What kind of impact do you think (or hope) the Vagina Monologues made on those in attendance this year?

Carolina: I hope that everyone who attended the play or participated in some way in the Vagina Monologues not only had a great time and laughed with the cast, but has a better understanding of the variety of issues surrounding women and the feminine perspective: social pressures, sexual taboos, violence, rape, healing and reconciliation processes, birth, and pleasure; are all part of the multidimensional female story.

Why are the Vagina Monologues such an important component of social awareness in Kansas City?

Tria: I believe that truth in many different forms can produce a sense of freedom. It is important that we inform ourselves so that we may make a difference and a positive impact on the next generation of women and young girls in our area.

Who would you like to see in attendance at the Vagina Monologues next year in 2013?

Carolina: I would like to see new and old faces in the 2013 performance. I would love for people who are already involved in anti-violence movements and V-Day to continue to collaborate with the cause and I for the message to continue to spread worldwide. I would like to see more men in the audience and a bigger involvement in the issues that affect not only women but our society as a whole.

Tria: This year the turnout was great but I would love to see more young men enjoying a play about vaginas. It’s important for not just women but also men to understand why vaginas should be loved and appreciated.

For more information about the UMKC Women’s Center and our upcoming events please visit http://www.umkc.edu/womenc/events/calendar.asp or call us at (816) 235-1638.

Be sure to also check out all of our exciting 40th Anniversary Events! http://www.umkc.edu/womenc/40thanniversary/default.asp

Pictured above from top to bottom: Emily Boyer, Carolina Costa, Tria Tatum and the cast of the Vagina Monologues.