Stalking: A horrific story?

• by

By Armelle Djoukoue

Stalking, is a series of actions that puts a person in fear for their safety. The stalker may follow you, harass you, call you on the telephone, watch your house, send unwanted mail, or act in some other threatening way.  We are familiar with stories of celebrity stalkers but one recent celebrity stalking headline caught my attention. Selena Gomez, a young Disney starlet, has recently been stalked by Thomas Brodnicki.

Brodnicki claimed that he had conversations with God about killing the 19 year old star. The scariest thing about this story is that the alleged stalker agreed with the judge about the restraining order. According to Fox News Entertainment, Brodnicki submitted a sworn declaration stating “I believe that a restraining order should be issued against me to prevent me from trying to contact Selena Gomez”.  This is more frightening than usual because the stalker is well aware of how dangerous he is to the victim. The felony stalking charge against the 46 year old was dismissed by a Los Angeles judge last month due to a lack of evidence to prove that he would carry out his threats against the actress/singer.  A judge did, however, finally grant Gomez a three-year restraining order against the man.

I think I can speak for most victims by saying that the thought of knowing there is someone out there trying to harm you is terrifying. Stalking does not only happen to celebrities, it can happen to anyone.   Stalking is a dangerous crime that affects 3.4 million adults in the United States each year. I used to think a stalker was just a stranger that was obsessed with someone, but a stalker is not always a stranger. A stalker can be an ex-boyfriend, a best friend, a co-worker, or anyone you once trusted.  The better we understand facts about stalking, the more we can stop it.

Stalking Awareness month is dedicated to educating people about the serious nature of stalking, how to identify it, and what to do if you feel you or someone you know is being stalked. You can educate yourself and your community by visiting the stalking awareness month website at stalkingawarenessmonth.org.

Fox news link:  http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/12/14/selena-gomez-stalker-am-danger-to-her/