Emily Mathis: The Women's Center's New Bookworm

Hi everyone! My name is Emily and I just started working at the Women’s Center. I’m really excited about working here and being a part of all the events that are coming up! I transferred to UMKC last semester from Johnson County Community College and I really like it here. I am an English Creative Writing major…for now. My ultimate goal is to be a college Literature Professor, which means I have a good six more years of school, at least, to get to where I need to be. That’s okay, though, because I really like school and the way I see it, this is the time to have fun, travel, and enjoy not having huge responsibilities like a dog. My favorite thing about being a student is having time to read! I am a self-proclaimed bookworm. I always have at least 10 books by my bed at all times and am always in the middle of at least three at the same time. Besides reading, I like to do crosswords, watch TV with my roommates, spend time with my family that includes three dogs, and catch up with friends. I really like it here at the Women’s Center and everyone is really fun and diverse. I’m sure it’s only going to get better.