Women’s Center Has New Graduate Assistant

By Mirella FloresMirella_Blog Picture

Hi everyone! My name is Mirella Flores (she/her/hers pronouns) and I am the new graduate assistant at the Women’s Center! I am working on my doctorate in Counseling Psychology. I just finished my first year. Wohoo! Five more years to go!

I was born in Lima, Peru. My family moved to the states, Florida to be specific, when I was 9 years old. I attended the University of Florida (Go Gators!) for my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. I spent a year after college working at a community mental health organization, volunteering for two local crisis centers, being involved in a research team, and applying and interviewing for graduate school. I really know how to take a year “off.”

I will admit I am a busy bee, but I also enjoy some non-academic or advocacy related things. I went to a magnet high school for the arts and specialized in visual arts. As part of my self-care, I sometimes paint and draw. Moving to KC from Florida has been a bit rough, but I love how large the art scene is in KC. When I moved to KC, one of the first things I did was go to First Friday. I also do crossfit, run, play with my cat, and spent time with my partner and friends. One of my favorite self-care things to do is to read a book as I take a bubble bath and drink some wine.

I am passionate about gender issues at large, in particular as it relates to women (cisgender and transgender) and transgender individuals. I am excited to be working at the Women’s Center because it gives me the opportunity to be part of an organization that works to advocate, educate, and provide support services for women on campus and the community. I hope to see some of you at our events!