We’re Here to Help: Andrea Uhl

Title

Senior Grants & Contracts Administrator

My focus

I assist the University faculty and staff in the grant application and award process. I serve as an advocate for our faculty doing my best to provide the tools and explanations to allow them to communicate their project and/or research plans and goals as effectively as possible.

Where I came from

Although I was born and raised in St. Joseph, Missouri I’ve now called the Kansas City area my home just a few years longer. My first home in the metro was on the campus of William Jewell College where I studied Vocal Music Performance, Political Science, Psychology and History. Later, I transferred to UMKC to continue my studies and found a wonderful first “real job” working in the School of Biological Sciences. My introduction to grants, research and grants management all started 18 years ago, filling out carbon grant forms on a type writer for the faculty in SBS! Enjoying the academic culture and opportunities here at UMKC I continued on as a fiscal officer in SBS, then moved to the Grants Officer position at the School of Medicine and eventually landed at the Office of Research Services as a Grants and Contracts Administrator. In 2009 I had the opportunity to explore healthcare grants and research administration at The Children’s Mercy Hospital where I spent six years working with researchers and faculty as a grants specialist. As my children were starting pre-school and my husband’s business was growing I diversified my efforts; I started a part-time research and grants consulting business, while managing our business and spending as much time with our twins as possible. As our children started kindergarten, the opportunity to “come back home” to UMKC and the Office of Research Services presented itself at the perfect time for me and my family. I’m so happy to return to the campus I love doing the work I’ve come to love!

What I love about working in Research Administration

The faculty we work with have the brilliance and expertise to formulate some amazing projects to teach, improve and develop many expansive fields. Research Administration can be full of complex and tedious tasks covering everything from proof-reading to composing detailed budgets, filling out multifaceted and intricate forms and providing endless information and justifications. Assisting faculty through these administrative tasks, I feel I am doing my part to provide the tools for them to grow and progress in their research.

Some favorite things

When I’m not working, I enjoy spending time with my family; husband Nathan, daughter Blythe and son Phineas. The twins keep us busy with many activities including soccer and family game night but I also find time to enjoy singing, running and training for races. This October I plan to run my third full marathon and take a break from the “long races” to enjoy some beautiful Kansas City Fall weather with outdoor yoga and cycling with my family.