Find a Higher Purpose in Higher Ed
Top reasons to apply for a career at UMKC
Where Passion Meets Paycheck
- Help others reach their dreams while living yours
- Bridge cultural barriers through a shared interest in learning and education
- Champion innovation and research
A Healthy Work-Life Balance
- Health and wellness programs
- Remote work options
- Arts and culture events and resources
More Than Just a Paycheck
- Choice of health plans
- Tuition reimbursement for employees and tuition remission for their immediate family members
- Retirement savings match
You Don’t Have Wait for the Weekend
- Flexible work schedules
- Generous paid time off
- Paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day
Teamwork Makes the Dream Work
- Cross-campus collaboration
- Community engagement
- Job training, mentorship, leadership development and more
View academic positions
View staff positions
A Great Place to Work
Founded in 1929, UMKC has since expanded to two campuses. Our unique profile includes the Conservatory, Henry W. Bloch School of Management, University College and schools of Dentistry; Education, Social Work and Psychological Sciences; Humanities and Social Sciences; Law; Medicine; Nursing and Health Studies; Pharmacy and Science and Engineering.
We are Kansas City’s 24th-largest employer, with more than 3,500 staff and faculty supporting 14,000-plus undergraduate, graduate and professional students. We offer a variety of career options — academic and administrative — in numerous fields, with opportunity for growth and advancement.
We strive to create a welcoming environment where faculty and staff feel valued for their contributions. A successful candidate will have a genuine enthusiasm for students and the university — student success is central to our mission and provides direction in our daily actions at UMKC.
We continually strive to support the surrounding community and the greater Kansas City area. Almost half of our alumni make their home here. We are a great university in one of America’s “most charming cities,” according to Travel + Leisure magazine. Kansas City truly is a wonderful location for UMKC.
We are an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
To request ADA accommodations, please contact us at 816-235-1621. TTY users may call through Relay Missouri at 800-735-2966.
For Spanish translation, please call through Relay Missouri for Spanish at 800-520-7309.
Search for jobs
UMKC offers competitive salaries, affordable medical and dental plans with no waiting period, a 403(b) savings plan, paid time off, tuition assistance — 75% of educational fees paid — and university paid long-term disability and life insurance.
Benefit information can be found in our Total Rewards section. We also provide employee discount opportunities.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Diversity, equity and inclusion are central to the UMKC mission as an urban-serving institution. Kansas City is a particularly diverse city, including African, African American, Asian, German, Irish, Italian, Latinx, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Native American and Slavic communities. Such ethnic diversity, in addition to our thriving neighborhoods of the Westside, Northeast Kansas City and the Eastside, fosters creativity, connection and innovation, which is showcased across the region. Major attractions such as the Annual Ethnic Enrichment Festival, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, the Filipino Cultural Center, the American Jazz Museum, Guadalupe Centers and Mattie Rhodes and Kansas City Irish Fest are a small sample of the many ways our diverse city enriches us.
Our strategic plan prioritizes our commitment to multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion. We call upon our faculty, staff, students and community to position themselves as global citizens who seek out, embrace and celebrate the many benefits of diversity. UMKC recently received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award in recognition of our continued commitment to equity and inclusion. Such commitment is demonstrated across teaching, service and research. We welcome applicants to share in our commitment to these values.
Learn more about UMKC’s engagement in diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Chancellor’s Initiatives
- Division of Diversity and Inclusion
- First Gen Roo
- LGBTQIA+ Programs and Services
- Multicultural Student Affairs
- UMKC Women’s Center
- All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
- All final academic hire candidates will be required to successfully pass an education verification review through the National Student Clearinghouse or provide official transcripts prior to beginning employment.
- You can find information on campus security and personal safety at UMKC Police.
- Smoking is not allowed on UMKC campuses. Please visit the Smoke-Free UMKC for details.
Questions? Contact us at 816-235-1621.
H1-B Labor Condition Attestations (LCA)
- Notice of Intent to File Labor Certifications
- Notice of Filing Permanent Alien Labor Certification