We’re Here to Help: Lori Reierson

Title:

Research Compliance Officer-IACUC/IBC/RSC

My Focus:

My primary role is to support UMKC research compliance committees. We communicate with Principle Investigators throughout the protocol review process from submission to committee approval. Our office is an important resource for the implementation and adherence to a range of university policies and state and federal regulations.

Where I Came From:

Raised in the Kansas City area, I received my undergraduate degree in Chemistry from UMKC in 2014 and gained job experience in Academic Support and Mentoring. After working at a law firm for a couple years, I decided research compliance was a good fit and returned to UMKC as a full-time employee.

What I love about working in Research Administration:

I really enjoy interacting with faculty, staff and students here at the university, as well as members at different research institutions. I love that so many people are willing to collaborate in order to advance research. It is great to be able to have face-to-face interaction with these individuals at committee meetings, training sessions, and research events.

Some favorite things:

Some of my passions/interests include education, art, hiking, coffee, and my dog, Canelo.

One of my favorite quotes is by anthropologist Margaret Mead: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”