HLC Accreditation Reaffirmation 2019
UMKC completed a comprehensive evaluation, including an institutional site visit December 2 and 3, 2019, with the Higher Learning Commission. We await HLC’s findings.
Overview of HLC’s first-level decision-making process:
- The peer review team will write a report that includes a recommendation (approximately 6 weeks).
- UMKC will have an opportunity to review this report for errors of fact before the peer review team submits its final report to HLC.
- The peer review submits its final report to the HLC Institutional Actions Council for review and action.
- HLC Institutional Actions Council meets March 16-17, 2020, and May 4-5, 2020.
Pending whether HLC Institutional Actions Council accepts the report, the next steps become individualized. More information is available on the HLC website.
Reaffirmation of UMKC’s accreditation is important because it:
- affirms that UMKC is providing a quality education
- presents opportunities for UMKC continuous improvement of programs and operations
- provides UMKC with feedback
The HLC team encourages the campus community to stay informed about this important effort, and to get in touch with any questions.
Contribute to a positive HLC accreditation reaffirmation outcome!
- Familiarize yourself with UMKC’s strategic plan and assurance argument
- Participate in one of the open sessions (to be announced)
- Answer questions honestly, thoughtfully, and candidly.
- Remember it is ok to not know an answer.
UMKC’s Assurance Argument
Over the past 18 months, the HLC committees and staff have worked hard to prepare UMKC for its comprehensive evaluation. A detailed group process led to UMKC’s completed assurance argument and evidence. Members of the UMKC community may read the assurance argument online or by downloading it from Box.
Through a Common Lens is a 5-episode podcast to prepare UMKC for the site visit on December 2 and 3. There are 5 episodes overall, two are in two parts and the other three are stand alone. Special thanks to guests Chancellor Agrawal, Provost Bichelmeyer, Ken Novak, Cindy Pemberton, and Chris Wolff, and to Newletters On the Air for assisting with studio recording.
The HLC blog posts organize resources, news, and events.
Links to UMKC websites for strategic plan, master plan, facts and figures, RooSTRONG, and degree programs.
A peer review team from HLC will visit UMKC December 2 and 3, 2019. Learn about the visit and how to prepare.
Learn about the Higher Learning Commission and the history of UMKC’s accreditation.
HLC Accreditation History
This resource provides a documented history of UMKC’s affiliation with the Higher Learning Commission.
Ruth E. Cain, PhD
Director of Assessment
Academic Liaison Officer – Higher Learning Commission
Alexis N. Petri, EdD
Lead Assurance Argument Writer
Associate Research Professor