April 9, 2020
It is my pleasure to inform you that, thanks to your hard work and commitment, UMKC has received across-the-board affirmation in all categories from the Higher Learning Commission. As a result, we will continue as a fully-accredited university for another 10 years before our next reaffirmation process, scheduled for 2029-30.
Every member of our university should be proud of this result. Among the observations noted by the review team are the following:
- Our mission is clear and guides our operations, and this was evident through the many interactions on the Volker and Health Sciences campuses during the site visit.
- UMKC brings a historical awareness of the importance of access to education, and the challenges of systemic barriers to opportunity, in its diversity and inclusion efforts.
- The visiting team’s conversations with UMKC personnel and students confirmed that our institution is deeply committed to its public-service mission.
- The university operates with integrity in all financial and academic functions.
- It was apparent that the university (and the UM System) support freedom of expression in teaching, learning, and scholarship.
- The review team found that the institution had the commitment for ongoing educational achievement and improvement through assessment of student learning and that this commitment is part of the institutional culture.
Again, thank you for the time and effort you invested in this vitally important process. I know we can’t get together to celebrate in-person, but that day will come. I look forward to gathering with you in the not-too-distant future to raise a toast to our success!
C. Mauli Agrawal, Ph.D. Jenny Lundgren, Ph.D.
Chancellor Interim Provost
University of Missouri-Kansas City | Kansas City, MO 64110 | (816) 235-1000
UMKC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution.