Optional Practical Training

UPDATE: If you MUST leave the U.S. with an expired visa and will be renewing in your home country, please be aware that you may experience heightened scrutiny/vetting, delay in renewal, and possible denial.  Please schedule your request for renewal appointment as EARLY as possible. Please note that this information is subject to change at any time. Please travel with caution.

Updated information may be found at: https://www.kcvisa.com/


Currently on OPT? Regulations of your visa still REQUIRE you to:

  • Report any change in mailing/residential address
  • Report any change in your legal name
  • Report any change to your visa type/immigration status
  • Report any time you change employment
  • Report any change in your current employer’s name or address
  • Report if you are unemployed for more than 10 days: Unemployment Report Form
  • Report if you are unemployed for more than the maximum allowed for your OPT or STEM: Unemployment Report Form
  • Report if there are any changes of deviations to an existing I-983 form (24-month STEM only)
  • Send a copy of your updated I-983 form when you complete your annual self-evaluations (24-month STEM only)
  • Confirm your name, address, employer, and employer’s address every 6 months: OPT/STEM Report Participation Form
  • Upon employment you are required to submit the EMPLOYER UPDATE FORM with a copy of your offer letter AND I-983 if you are currently on 24-month STEM OPT
  • You must report any updates within 10 days of the change



Who is Eligible for OPT?

  • Must be in valid F-1 visa status, I-20, passport, and I-94
  • Must have completed one (1) full academic year in an academic program
  • Must graduate with a Bachelors, Master’s or PhD
  • Expected graduation at the time of application (you may only continue to be enrolled in a thesis/dissertation course)
  • Must take and pass the OPT Quiz on Blackboard
  • If you have less than 365 days of full-time CPT
  • You should apply 90 days before your GRADUATION DATE

12-Month Post-Completion OPT

24-Month STEM Extension

I-983 Information for STEM Extension


If a student uses a temporary or staffing agency to place them in a training opportunity, the agency cannot complete and sign the Form I-983…Only the E-verified employer that provides the actual training relevant to the student’s qualifying STEM degree is authorized to sign and complete the Form I-983. The “Official with Signatory Authority” for a student’s Form I-983 must meet the following criteria:

…Additionally, if the terms of a student’s training deviate from the original Form I-983, the student and employer need to update it and provide a newly signed Form I-983 to the DSO.

This means that if a student uses a temporary agency that places them in short-term training opportunities with several different employers, the student will need to complete a new Form I-983 for every new training opportunity with each employer.

Other Information


After completion of your program and graduation, you will no longer be automatically enrolled in UMKC’s medical insurance. Insurance will be your responsibility. Be sure to ask your employer about health insurance for you and your family.

If you employer does NOT offer health insurance, you may purchase your own insurance through Aetna or any other company you choose. UMKC’s student insurance is optional while you are on OPT so you must apply and choose to be enrolled. If you would like to stay with Aetna while on OPT, click on “Enroll: OPT Students and Dependents” here: UMKC’s Aetna Website


If your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card was approved by the PSC and contains incorrect information that you believe is due to USCIS error, please follow the instructions below:

Submit a letter that explains the error. Include the EAD card containing the incorrect information, documents showing that USCIS made an error (such as a copy of the application you sent to USCIS with your correct information, a copy of your birth certificate, with your correct name). Send your letter and supporting documents to the Nebraska Service Center at

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Nebraska Service Center
PO Box 82521
Lincoln, NE 68501-2521

Please do not send the letter and card to the PSC. If USCIS made an error, you do not need to submit a new Form I-765 or pay a new filing fee.