2. Recap of last meeting
5. Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
1. Action: Let us know what you think about the new virtual tour. All general observations are welcome and we are still fact checking, so if something is incorrect, please alert Vishal.
2. Action: Please notify others who might want to attend the Web Editing Basics training March 11 and March 25 at 10:30‐11:30 a.m. in the Admin Center and email Beth if you would like to attend a session.
News and Updates
2. The WLG blog will soon have a suggestion box for members to post ideas and resources links.
3. Bryce Puntenney showed the group the redesigned School of Pharmacy site.
- Process: Bryce worked with a freelance Web designer, who is now a contract employee. They met face to face when needed, but more frequently met via Skype. They shared documents via Google Documents so that everything was in a central location that they could each access. When changes are noted, they keep a section for ongoing changes and a section for changes that need to occur ASAP. Currently there are monthly 1×1 meetings with content providers. The strategy is that the newly organized site will motivate units to update/create content.
- Site features: Portal structure with information geared toward specific audiences; Left-hand navigation contains information by topic vs. audience; Calendars for current students and alumni events plus a master calendar; and aNewsfeed
4. Pat Burch explained that there were some computers with FrontPage installed, so IS is auto installing SharePoint on those computers. If someone you know is still using FrontPage or Expression Web, please have them request a SharePoint installation.
5. Barbetta Croft notified the group that Library search indexing beta is still up.
6. No report from Central Systems
7. Vishal had several tips
- For testing in multiple browsers: https://browserlab.adobe.com (need a free adobe account but its fast and easy, can preview easily) there is also https://browsershots.org but it is a little slow. A good Internet Explorer tester is at http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage.
- Vishal recommends using the free portable apps at http://portableapps.com. Install them on your USB. The apps work well, and are small and easy to run.
8. Michael Strait notified the group of http://www.brightkite.com, which is a location specific social networking tool; you can link it with Facebook. It shows activity within geographic areas campus–specific or neighborhood-specific.
9. Vishal showed us the new campus virtual tour: http://dev.umkc.edu/virtualtour/. Photos are courtesy of Kristen Hellstrom. We would like to do a video cast too.
- Beth Mussmann has more Basic Web Editing Trainings scheduled: February 23 from 2:30-3:30 in the Plaza Room. March 11 and March 25 at 10:30-11:30 a.m. in the Admin Center.