The annual Staff Council Professional Development Conference is an example of the University of Missouri-Kansas City’s commitment to enhancing professional development opportunities for staff. Since 2014, staff have joined in the spring for a day of learning, collaboration and networking. This conference, sponsored by UMKC Staff Council, planned and supported by the efforts of staff volunteers and attended annually by over 200 of our staff colleagues, is our premier learning event for UMKC staff.
This year’s theme is Career Advocacy—asking more for yourself and others as it relates to professional development, mental health, personal wellness, and career growth.
Given event restrictions due to the COVID-19 crisis, this year’s conference will be offered in a virtual format. We hope you can join us for any portion online! We will continue to update information as more details become available.
2020 Professional Development Conference
Thursday, May 21st, Online
The conference will include the opportunity to either watch recorded sessions, attend live events via Zoom, or receive electronic materials from some of the following speakers (times and formats of sessions offered subject to change):
Keynote speaker: Dr. Brandon Martin, Director of Athletics
Dr. Brandon E. Martin serves as UMKC Athletics Director, Executive in Residence at the UMKC Henry W. Bloch School of Management, and UMKC School of Education. In this role, Dr. Martin will assist with designing and developing non-degree strategic leadership programs for professionals in the region. Martin’s leadership has helped change the culture within Kansas City Athletics as his positive energy, passion, and strategic vision has helped elevate the Roos‘ momentum on and off the field.
8:30 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. Welcome
- Presenter Dr. Mauli Agrawal, Chancellor
9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Prioritizing Health for the Busy Professional, Jessica Kaufman
- How to Receive and Implement Feedback with Grace, Leslie Hernandez
- Grant Writing for Educators Finally Made Easy, Barbara Wright
- Sophisticated Bullying: Did that really just happen?, Dr. Sally Ellis Fletcher
- Bullet Journaling and Productivity, Valorie Engholm
10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- Support Staff Roundtable: Campus Connections to Collaborations, Dr. Kim Johnson
- Mental Health Panel
- Networking for Introverts, LaRae Vowiell
- Unoffendable: Navigating Life with Less Stress and More Peace, Dr. Dea Marx
- Couldn’t This Have Been an Email?!: Making Meetings Matter, Nick Dean & Betsy Hendrick
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Using Design Thinking for Advocacy, Brittany Bummer & Scott Helm
- LinkedIn How-To, Career Services
- Building a More Inclusive Workspace: Working with Whiteness at an Institution of Higher Education, Dr. Allan Davis
- Navigating Your Career, Kelly Limpic
- Mental Health Panel, Dr. Kathryn Brewer & Company
12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Keynote Speaker
- Introduction by Roland Hemmings, Staff Council President
- Keynote Speaker Dr. Brandon Martin, Director of Athletics
As a Healthy for Life sponsored workshop, eligible employees may earn 25 points for participation. There is a maximum of 100 points possible for this category. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding the incentive program.