Creating growth and progress.
Success as an urban school teacher requires making connections–with students, fellow teachers, the community, and other worthwhile organizations. Our Teacher Support is designed to help our teachers make connections. Explore our programs, professional development, and networks. How we put them together sets us apart.
Programs & Partnerships
IUE has three programs, two of which support new teachers and one for IUE students.
New Teacher Induction
Supports IUE graduates in their first years of classroom teaching.
- Coaching/mentoring for new teachers
- Alumni seminars
- Book studies
- New Teacher Induction partnership with KCPS (Fall 2021-pilot)
IUE alumni are utilized as mentors for beginning teachers
- Professional learning opportunities for beginning teachers in partner schools
IUE School & District Partnerships
As IUE continues to grow, our vision is to connect new graduates with IUE alumni. The connection builds capacity and seeks to develop teachers with beliefs and practices aligned to IUE’s mission.
Current Partner Schools:
- Kansas City Public Schools
- Kansas City Kansas Public Schools
- Center Public Schools
- Academy for the Integrated Arts
- Allen Village School
- Brookside Charter School
- Crossroads Academy
- Kansas City International Academy
- Guadalupe Schools
- Hogan Preparatory Academy
IUE Community Partnerships
Current IUE students engage in community service with these organizations:
- Urban Youth Academy of Kansas City
- Literacy KC
- Lead to Read
- Community LINC
- Student-led groups develop new ways to support the community
Education doesn’t stop upon graduation. IUE teachers continue to learn and develop by participating in our profession development programs.
- Webinars: Professional Development topics aligned to the mission of the IUE, including social justice, anti-racist teaching, and culturally relevant pedagogy. View the webinar series in Events
- Teachers Teaching Teachers
- Start with a Spark – summer conference for new teachers
IUE helps alumni build their professional networks and career paths.
- Alumni: Alumni support UMKC students and new IUE graduates. Alumni Teacher Leaders engage as facilitators of Professional Development and staff works to develop alumni as effective mentors
- Principal Network: Connects IUE to principals supporting pre-service teachers and alumni
- IUE-KC Education Collaborative: Partnership between the Institute for Urban Education and district-level leadership to strengthen our local urban schools