End-of-Year Tax Documents

Tax season is in full-fledge and it can be stressful to obtain all the necessary tax documents in time to file. While Human Resources is dedicated to serving each and every employee at UMKC, we are unable to provide tax advice, however, this article may help clarify what each document is and how to obtain them.


The W-2 form indicates the amount of wages paid and taxes withheld from your paychecks. If you have not already opted for an electronic W-2, you will receive an end-of-the-year email asking you to indicate whether you want a paper or electronic form. If you elect to receive an electronic version, you are able to view and/or print it from myHR around the middle of January. Otherwise, a paper form will be postmarked by January 31 and then mailed to your mailing address on file. Access to the electronic W-2 is now available to ALL employees and former employees as of today, Thursday, February 15, 2018.


The 1095-C is titled “Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage.” All employees have the option of receiving an electronic Form 1095-C. If an employee opts for an electronic form by December 31, that person will be able to view and print it from myHR. To access this form in myHR now, navigate to myHR, select the “Benefits” tile and in the left-hand menu, scroll down and select “View Form 1095-C.”


The 1099-R form reports distributions from pensions, annuities and other retirement plans, and is used when completing your income tax return(s). By late January/early February, the UM System sends Form 1099-R to your home address if you have received UM pension payments or other distributions during the tax year. The 1099-R form is also accessible in myHR. To access the form, select the “Payroll” tile, then in the left-hand menu choose “View Your 1099-R Form.”  You will be prompted to enter your password to access the electronic form.


The 1099 form is a series of documents the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) refers to as “information returns.” There are a number of different 1099 forms that report the various types of income you may receive throughout the year other than the salary your employer pays you. This is not an HR form. To obtain this form, please contact UM System Accounts Payable at (573) 882-3051 or via email at financesupport@umsystem.edu.

If you did not consent to receive your tax forms electronically this year and wish to receive them electronically next year, you may consent to electronic tax forms in myHR now.

If you need any of the above forms to be reissued (with exception to form 1099), you may put in a reissue request with the UM HR Service Center if you wish to receive a mailed copy. Otherwise, all tax forms can be downloaded/printed via myHR.