Employee Relations provides services to employees, managers and supervisors to create a positive work environment for everyone. We focus on promoting good management practices and workplace behaviors, positive working environments and relationships through a variety of services including:
- Consulting with individuals and departments to foster a positive and productive work environment at UMKC
- Providing conflict resolution options including: consultation, facilitation and training
- Investigating and resolving work-related complaints
- Advising and training departments on corrective actions and administering the University’s progressive discipline process
- Providing coaching and training regarding the University’s performance appraisal system
- Advising individuals and departments on UMKC policy and procedures
- Provide guidance and information related to The Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
We can assist in resolving many of the complaints that may arise in the workplace. Many complaints start out as a problem with communication or misconceptions that lead to interpersonal conflict.
We can assist individuals and groups with:
- Clarifying expectations
- Establishing accountability
- Facilitating understanding
- Reaching consensus
- Setting goals
- Training teams to work effectively
While most complaints can be resolved informally, we can also assist employees and supervisors with formal resolution options including:
Flexible Work Arrangements
UMKC Human Resources is committed to providing a supporting and rewarding work environment. Flexible work arrangements can be of benefit to both the University of Missouri and its employees. They are an important strategy to help the University respond to demographic, economic and technological changes.
Flexible work arrangements should support the mission, goals and functional role of the employee, department and University. Take the Flexible Work Arrangement Self Assessment to help determine whether you are prepared to ask your supervisor for a flexible work arrangement. Supervisors can take the Flexible Work Arrangement Readiness Assessment to determine whether or not employees are ready for a flexible working arrangement.
For additional information, forms and guidelines, please visit the Flexible Work Arrangements page.
The UMKC Exit Survey is a tool used for voluntary terminations that anonymously allows for employees to share information about the work environment at UMKC as well as information about why they exited the institution.
Survey data is ran quarterly and information is provided to the Vice Chancellor of Human Resources as well as the Chancellor for further discussion.
If you need to discuss a matter with the employee relations staff, we will maintain confidentiality in a manner consistent with State and Federal regulations. Some situations may require further investigation or consultation with other campus representatives. In such cases, employees will be consulted and information will only be shared with other individuals on a need-to-know basis.