UMKC has its own police force. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Their office is located at 5005 Oak Street, Kansas City, MO 64112. From your cell phone, you can dial 816.235.1515 to speak with Campus Police. To call them from a UMKC phone, just dial 1515.
If a crime occurs on campus, report it immediately to the UMKC Police Department.
Theft is the most commonly reported crime on campus. The majority of thefts are of unattended items, so don’t leave your things unattended.
- Always make sure you log off your e-mail account when you are done and close open windows or tabs.
- Never give your passwords to e-mail accounts, network accounts, etc. to anyone.
- Don’t leave your laptop, notebook computer, or tablet unattended. Use a cable locking system to secure it to a desk or chair.
- Pay attention to emails sent from UMKC, ISAO, or ALI about e-mail scams.
- Secure valuables left in your dorm or vehicle.
- Lock the door and windows to your room when you leave, are sleeping, or are in the bathroom.
- Lock up your bicycle.
- Use a lock on your gym locker.
- Do not loan or give your keys to anyone. Do not leave your keys unattended.
- Do not leave books, bags, purses, wallets, or other items unattended.
- Always report stolen property immediately to the police.
Safety Tips for the Parking Garage
- At night, leave your office or building with other people. Don’t leave alone after dark. If possible, have someone from your building security escort you, or call for police assistance. You can call UMKC police to escort you to your car if you leave your building in the dark.
- Approach your vehicle with your keys in your hand.
- Look around your vehicle for any suspicious activity. If you see someone waiting around your vehicle, walk past until they leave.
- Do a quick scan of the inside of your vehicle before you enter it. Be sure to check the back seat.
- Keep your doors locked and your windows shut.
Off Campus Safety Tips
Safety Tips for Walking at Night
- Avoid walking or running alone at night – go with a friend.
- Don’t use headphones while walking, driving, or jogging because they will distract you from your surroundings.
- Walk in well-lighted areas.
- Avoid the use of short-cuts at night.
- If someone in a vehicle stops and asks for directions, answer from a distance. Do not approach the vehicle.
- Never get into the car of a person you don’t know.
- If followed, go immediately to an area with lights and people.
- Do not display cash openly, especially when leaving an ATM
Safety Tips for Shopping
- Avoid shopping alone – go with a friend.
- Park your vehicle in a well-lighted area.
- Know your surroundings. Keep an eye on the people in front of as well as behind you.
- Carry your purse close to your body. Don’t swing it loosely. Don’t display large amounts of cash.
- Try not to carry too many packages. Place all packages out of sight in your vehicle, preferably in the trunk.
- Keep your vehicle locked and your windows shut.
Safety Tips for using the ATM
- Avoid using the ATM alone – take a friend or only use the ATM when others are around.
- Avoid using the ATM after dark. If you must, choose one that is well-lighted.
- When you arrive at the ATM, look around, if anything makes you uncomfortable, leave.
- Have your card ready when you approach the ATM.
- If someone else is using the ATM when you arrive, give them space.
- Be sure to take your card and receipt when you leave the ATM.
- Be aware of your surroundings.