Why this Program?
The Institute’s mission is to offer comprehensive English-for-Speaker-of-Other-Languages (ESOL) instruction for academic, personal or professional purposes as well as language acquisition and cross-cultural classes. In addition, the Institute aims to provide students with an understanding of U.S. cultures and values, particularly within the educational environment, while acknowledging and valuing students’ own cultures and languages.
This means that you will experience high-quality instruction by skilled instructors in a place that is sensitive to your needs. Our faculty and staff have all lived abroad and studied another language, so they know what it is like to be away from home and family and to adjust to a different environment. We truly do strive to make this your home in the Heartland!
ALI students are eligible for great benefits. Here are a few:
- No TOEFL/IELTS scores or school transcripts are required for studying in the Intensive English program.
- After you graduate from the ALI, you won’t need a TOEFL/IELTS score to begin your studies in most academic programs at UMKC.
- Concurrent ESOL and Academic enrollment is available for advanced students.
- Some ALI classes count toward graduation.
- Your ALI grades will impact your overall GPA at UMKC. This a great opportunity for you to begin your academic study at UMKC with a high GPA.
- The ALI is a fully accredited University program.
- ALI students are UMKC students. They have full access to university facilities, such as: Swinney Recreation & Fitness Center, the UMKC Student Union, the Atterbury Student Success Center, and Miller-Nichols Library
- Part-semester programs are available for student that cannot attend a full semester.
- A partial scholarship is awarded to non-sponsored students.
Studying at the ALI is very affordable. The ALI offers a partial scholarship and the cost of living in Missouri is very reasonable. For more information about the cost of the program, click here.
For a comparison in living costs between Kansas City and cities like New York and Chicago, click here.
Click here for more information about scholarships for International Students at the ALI and UMKC.
Comprehensive ALI Online Placement Exam (CALIOPE)
Since January 2020, the Applied Language Institute has been offering its comprehensive online placement exam to all new and interested students. To learn more about CALIOPE, click here.