Where are they now?

Cristina Herrera

Here at The Applied Language Institute, students from all over the world are able to study and perfect their ability to understand and speak English. In the Fall of 2016, The ALI brought in students from The Proyecta group in Mexico. This group was here for a month, and just in that time were able to grow much stronger in their English!

Cristina Herrera, is one of the wonderful students that attended with the group. Through class, staying with a host family, and cultural events, Cristina gives high praise on her time with The Applied Language Institute, and how her English has improved.

“Hello everyone!! I’m Cristina Medellín from Nayarit, Mexico. I studied at The ALI for a month from September to October, my experiences were exciting because I had never flown before, or been far away from my family. I met a lot of people, and enjoyed my host family. Specifically, Carol in my host family is a beautiful person who took great care of me. My first day in The ALI I was afraid of not understanding what other people said, but my friends in Mexico told me not to be afraid. I relaxed in class as my teachers taught me and I began to understand. Before The ALI, every time I spoke in English I always got nervous, but I learned to forget the grief. Once I did this, I became more comfortable. I got to meet many people from different countries and cultures. My favorite memory was when my friends and I explored the city and returned to the house walking as we used Google Maps to not get lost. Now I have graduated from Gastronomy this year. After Kansas City and The ALI I understand English perfectly. It allows me to communicate more fluently and it has helped me when I do job interviews. I feel good to speak, listen and understand in English.”

We are so proud of Cristina for her accomplishments and improvements in English! Learning a different language can be scary and is a lot of hard work. The ALI is so happy to have been a part of her journey. Congratulations to Cristina on her degree, we wish her the best!

David Cantu

David, attended the Applied Language Institute in the Fall Semester of 2017. During his time, he grew in his English proficiency which he has been able to apply in his academia in his home country, Mexico. Learn more about his time here at The University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Why did you decide to study English at the ALI?

“Proyecta,-it’s a scholarship to study English in the USA for 1 month and I was assigned to UMKC.”

How did the ALI help your English?

“After studied in the ALI, I think I’m more confident with my knowledge in the language. One month ago I received my TOEFL Score, 467 points. Speaking English everyday with my partners helped me in my speech skills.”

What advice do you have for students currently studying English?

“Just do your best, every single day is a new chance to meet new people, make new friends and learn new things”

What are some of your favorite memories of your time in Kansas City?

“I have good memories, I made friends with people from other parts of the world. I loved to go out with my friends to different places everyday, like the museum, the aquarium, parks, and the ‘Kansas City Power & Light District’ (the hallowee​n party was really amazing!)”

What are your career goals for the future?

“In December I will graduate from university. I will be an Engineer in Information Technologies. I hope to be a Professional Web Developer and I want to start my studies in e-Commerce and Digital Marketing.”

Alumni, David Cantu, was an excellent student here at The Applied Language Institute. We miss having him here in our program, but are eager and excited for his future. Congratulations to David!