UMKC Student Health and Wellness
UMKC Student Health and Wellness is committed to providing quality healthcare for all students, including those who identify as transgender. We a very aware that transgender individuals are inadequately served by the healthcare community. Student Health and Wellness is here to care for you and your concerns. We are a safe space to discuss any and all health issues and concerns.
Student Health and Wellness is consistently adding skills services we are able to offer. We aspire to also expand our skills to meet the distinct needs of our transgender students. If any needs of a student is beyond our current skills our Nurse Practitioners can refer students to specialists in the community to promote and improve the care you deserve.
Our present initiatives include:
- Ongoing training in transgender issues for all Student Health Center staff and providers.
- Working with UMKC Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management with the preferred name process in Pathway to have preferred name on your medical records.
- Paperwork modification for inclusivity of all individuals from all backgrounds, including those who identify as transgender.
- Provide a gender neutral bathroom within the clinic.
In addition, Student Health and Wellness invites feedback from the transgender community on ways we can continue to improve our services: email@example.com
UMKC Counseling Services
UMKC Student Health Insurance Plan through Aetna
Aetna student health insurance plan does cover hormone replacement therapy (HRT). If you are enrolled in the student health insurance plan and have questions regarding LGBTI coverage, please contact Student Health and Wellness to make an appointment. At that appointment you and the nurse practitioner can open discussion on your needs and services Student Health and Wellness can offer.
Additional information can be found here.
Click here for the services they provide.
Kansas City Trans Friendly Healthcare Providers
- The LGBT-Affirmative Therapists Guild of Greater Kansas City is a grassroots organization of licensed mental and healthcare professionals.
- Southwest Boulevard Family Health Care Services of Greater Kansas City (Family Health CARE), a non-profit safety net clinic, has provided health services on a sliding scale for those who do not have insurance.
- The Transgender Institute, located in the heart of the Midwest in Kansas City, Missouri, is a gender therapy and coaching organization dedicated to serving the transgender population through Transgender Growth Therapy™. They provide in-office consultation, off-site training, coaching and therapy sessions, as well as online sessions using Skype™ technology.