UMKC Pride Awards serves to acknowledge members of the UMKC community who have contributed to the betterment of our LGBTQIA community through education, support, programming, or activism. These select awards aim to identify outstanding individuals who have contributed through these areas of service and outreach, establishing a safer and more welcoming environment at UMKC. A […]
UMKC is proud to host the 4th annual Show Me Pride College Summit in partnership with the Missouri GSA Network. The Summit is a unique “UnConference” experience, created for flexibility and empowerment of Missouri college students. Please register and help us spread the word–all Missouri college students are welcome to attend! Registration is live! Fill out the form below or click […]
“Andrea Gibson is not gentle with her truths. It is this raw fearlessness that has led her to the forefront of the spoken word movement– the first winner of the Women’s World Poetry Slam –Gibson has headlined prestigious performance venues coast to coast with powerful readings on war, class, gender, bullying, white privilege, sexuality, love, […]
“Letters Never Sent: A History of Lesbian Literature” Tuesday, November 18th at 12pm in the UMKC Student Union Room 302 UMKC Pride Alliance is excited to present a special lecture by local author and professor Sandra Moran. Moran’s first novel, Letters Never Sent, resonated deeply in the LGBT community when it was released a little more than […]
- APNewsBreak: Military heads want transgender enlistment hold - Kansas City Star June 23, 2017Kansas City StarAPNewsBreak: Military heads want transgender enlistment holdKansas City StarMilitary chiefs will seek a six-month delay before letting transgender people enlist in their services, officials said Friday. After meetings this week, the service leaders hammered out an agreement that rejected Army and Air Force requests for a two ...and more »
- California bans state travel to Texas, 3 other states over anti-LGBT laws - Fox News June 23, 2017Fox NewsCalifornia bans state travel to Texas, 3 other states over anti-LGBT lawsFox NewsLawmakers passed legislation last year banning non-essential travel to states with laws that discriminate against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. North Carolina, Kansas, Mississippi and Tennessee are already on the list. California ...Citing LGBT discrimination, California bans state travel to Kentucky […]
- A Queer, Undocumented, Rural American Tells His Story At Kansas City's LGBT Film Festival - KCUR June 22, 2017KCURA Queer, Undocumented, Rural American Tells His Story At Kansas City's LGBT Film FestivalKCURAs quickly becomes clear in Forbidden: Undocumented and Queer in Rural America, one of the movies in this year's Out Here Now — Kansas City LGBT Film Festival, the undocumented part of Serrano's identity is what brings much more pain and heartbreak.
- Former Kansas City Chief comes out as gay, credits organization - KCTV5 - KCTV Kansas City June 20, 2017KCTV Kansas CityFormer Kansas City Chief comes out as gay, credits organization - KCTV5KCTV Kansas CityFormer Chiefs offensive tackle Ryan O'Callaghan came out as gay in a report from Cyd Zeigler of Outsports.com. In the article, O'Callaghan credited former Kansas City General Manager Scott Pioli and local counselor Susan Wilson as key figures that ...Ex-Chiefs […]
- Local work on display at Kansas City's LGBT Film Festival - KSHB June 19, 2017KSHBLocal work on display at Kansas City's LGBT Film FestivalKSHB"Out Here Now" started 18 years ago. It is regarded as one of the most visible and highly regarded LGBT cultural programs in the Midwest. One of the movies being shown is based off a book series written by KC native Jay Bell. He will be […]
- Pakistan just issued its first passport with a transgender category - Vox June 23, 2017VoxPakistan just issued its first passport with a transgender categoryVoxTrans Action Pakistan, an advocacy organization for Pakistan's transgender community, shared a post on its Facebook page saying that the president of the organization, Farzana Jan, was the first person to have a passport carrying the transgender identity.
- Military chiefs want 6-month hold on transgender enlistments - Fox News June 23, 2017Daily BeastMilitary chiefs want 6-month hold on transgender enlistmentsFox NewsTransgender servicemembers have been able to serve openly in the military since last year, when former Defense Secretary Ash Carter ended the ban, declaring it the right thing to do. Since Oct. 1, transgender troops have been able to receive medical ...Military heads request 6 month […]
- Keep the Anger, Lose the Hate November 15, 2016Anger is a powerful tool. If nothing else, this election proved that fact. Trump ran a hateful, angry campaign, and it paid off very well for him. The impulse to spew all that hate right back into his orange, pudgy little face is alarmingly strong. Succumbing to this temptation is satisfying too. The only thing […]Sam Danley
- How KC Played a Role in LGBT History October 25, 2016The Stonewall riots, which took place in New York City during the summer of 1969, are generally considered the spark that ignited the gay liberation movement. While there’s no denying the importance of Stonewall, many people often overlook another event that also played an important role in the emergence of LGBT activism. The first ever […]Sam Danley