UMKC and the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures is proud to welcome DENICE FROHMAN! Denice is an award-winning poet, lyricist, and educator, whose work explores the intersections of race, gender, sexuality, and the “in-betweeness” that exists in us all. Born and raised in New York City, she is the 2013 Women of the World Poetry Slam Champion, […]
States of Grace Tuesday, April 5th at 7pm Student Union Theater Join us for a special FREE screening of States of Grace. The profound transformation of a Bay Area family lies at the heart of this story about resilience and the healing power of community and spiritual practice. For Dr. Grace Dammann, a pioneering AIDS specialist, […]
UMKC SGA Black Lives Matter Speaker Series and UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month Presents: A Conversation with Janet Mock Monday, April 18th 6:00pm UMKC Pierson Auditorium Register Here Celebrating UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month and the UMKC SGA Black Lives Matter Series, in collaboration with the University of Missouri-Kansas City LGBTQIA Affairs Council, UMKC Student Government […]
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they […]
Join us on February 11th, Roos! The LGBTQIA Affairs Student Council hopes you will join us for the next LGBTQIA Social! Come meet your different LGBTQIA student organizations, play some games, and enjoy some FREE food! We hope to see you Thursday, February 11th at 7:00pm in the Oak Street Hall Basement.
- House reverses course on LGBT rights for federal contractors - Kansas City Star May 26, 2016Washington PostHouse reverses course on LGBT rights for federal contractorsKansas City StarIt would prohibit agencies funded by the bill to award taxpayer dollars to federal contractors that violate President Barack Obama's executive order barring discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. "It says you do not take ...Ryan weighs House floor change after gay […]
- Kansas legislators asked to sign letter against U.S. transgender bathroom guidance - Wichita Eagle May 25, 2016Wichita EagleKansas legislators asked to sign letter against U.S. transgender bathroom guidanceWichita EagleThe Kansas House probably won't consider a resolution next week objecting to federal guidance on transgender restroom use in schools, but House Speaker Ray Merrick is asking legislators to sign a letter to the Justice and Education departments opposing ...Top Kansas lawmaker leads […]
- 11 states sue over Obama's school transgender directive - Kansas City Star May 25, 2016The Independent11 states sue over Obama's school transgender directiveKansas City StarTexas and 10 other states are suing the Obama administration over its directive to U.S. public schools to let transgender students use the bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity. The lawsuit announced Wednesday includes Oklahoma, ...War over transgender bathroom access escalates as Texas […]
- Charlotte City Council rejects repeal vote on LGBT ordinance - Kansas City Star May 24, 2016Kansas City StarCharlotte City Council rejects repeal vote on LGBT ordinanceKansas City StarAfter a weekend of furious lobbying by local and national gay-rights groups, the Democratic-controlled Charlotte City Council decided Monday against taking any vote on repealing its own nondiscrimination ordinance. The council's decision is likely to ...and more »
- Kansas Christian School Trinity Academy Can Expel Students For Having LGBT Family Members - The Inquisitr May 24, 2016The InquisitrKansas Christian School Trinity Academy Can Expel Students For Having LGBT Family MembersThe InquisitrTherefore,when the atmosphere or conduct within a particular home is counter to the school's understanding of a biblical lifestyle, including the practice or promotion of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) lifestyle or alternative gender ...Kansas Christian school stirs controversy with […]
- Antibias Rules Set Up Tricky Question Over Gay Rights - Wall Street Journal May 26, 2016Wall Street JournalAntibias Rules Set Up Tricky Question Over Gay RightsWall Street JournalThe Obama administration's moves to create broad protections for transgender people have sidestepped an even trickier legal question about similar protections for gay, lesbian and bisexual people. Administration officials believe they are on firm legal ...
- America's Global Campaign for Gay Rights - New York Times May 26, 2016New York TimesAmerica's Global Campaign for Gay RightsNew York TimesToday, Mr. Berry, the State Department's first envoy for the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people, draws on that history often as he makes the case abroad that societies can and should become more inclusive. “I know ...
- New Fraternity Strives for Greater LGBT Acceptance November 8, 2015Tweet A new fraternity has joined UMKC’s campus this semester. Delta Lambda Phi is a new interest group fraternity that participates in community service, social and philanthropic events. LGBT support is one of the key factors allowing this fraternity to be different than the rest on campus. Junior Zendrix Berndt recently joined DLP. […]Jared Thompson
- Ice Cream Social serves up sugary introductions: Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services hold 9th annual event to raise awareness for LGBT programs September 8, 2014Tweet Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services co-sponsored the 9th annual Welcome Week Ice Cream Social on Aug. 28 in the University Walkway. Kona Ice served tropical flavored shaved ice to interested students from a company truck parked in the walkway. Pride Alliance, the University’s LGBT student organization, hosts the Ice Cream Social with […]Tory Foulk