LGBTQIA Social Meetings Every Wednesday of Spring 2017 (starting February 1st) 1-2pm in Student Union 325 (Rainbow Lounge) LGBTQIA Programs & Services and Pride Alliance are working together to provide LGBTQIA Social Meetings. These are weekly meetings where those who identify as LGBTQIA and allies meet together. Meetings consist of checking in on how each person is […]
Wednesday, April 12th 6:00pm UMKC Pierson Auditorium Register Here Celebrating UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month in collaboration with the University of Missouri-Kansas City LGBTQIA Affairs Council, UMKC Student Government Association (SGA), and LGBTQIA Programs & Services in the Office of Student Involvement. Angelica Ross: Transgender Entrepreneur, Activist, Model & Actress From the board room, to film […]
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they […]
UMKC Pride Alliance and UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services is excited to welcome trans athletes and educators Pat Manuel and Edxie Betts to UMKC, next Tuesday November 15th. Cosponsored by the UMKC Title IX Office and the Student Activity Fee Committee. On November 15th, Pat and Edxie will lead two workshops for UMKC students, faculty, staff, […]
UMKC is proud to host the 4th annual Show Me Pride College Summit in partnership with the Missouri GSA Network. The Summit is a unique “UnConference” experience, created for flexibility and empowerment of Missouri college students. Please register and help us spread the word–all Missouri college students are welcome to attend! Registration is live! Fill out the form below or click […]
- Catholic University in Kansas Plans LGBTQ Group - U.S. News & World Report April 30, 2017Catholic University in Kansas Plans LGBTQ GroupU.S. News & World ReportThe group's formation was spurred in part by a speech by Ruben Lerma at a public forum, where he discussed being gay on the Newman campus. He said he attended Newman because it offered him a full scholarship, even though he was concerned about ...
- Methodist court ruling a blow for openly lesbian bishop - KAKE April 29, 2017KAKEMethodist court ruling a blow for openly lesbian bishopKAKENEW YORK (AP) - The first openly lesbian bishop in the United Methodist Church can stay on the job for now, but she is subject to a disciplinary review that could lead to her removal, the top church court ruled Friday. ... The case is the latest […]
- Russian foreign minister: No proof of persecution of gay men - Kansas City Star April 24, 2017Kansas City StarRussian foreign minister: No proof of persecution of gay menKansas City StarMoscow wants to protect human rights but has no reason to believe reports about the persecution of gay men in Chechnya, Russian officials said on Monday. The Novaya Gazeta newspaper earlier this month reported that police in the predominantly Muslim ...Chechen killing and […]
- Prospects dimming for LGBT rights in Missouri this session - Kansas City Star April 23, 2017Prospects dimming for LGBT rights in Missouri this sessionKansas City StarIt's legal now in Missouri to fire someone or evict them from an apartment if they are gay, and efforts by some state lawmakers to outlaw such discrimination are dwindling as the session nears a close. The Kansas City Star reported (http://bit.ly ...and more »
- Morning Rush: LGBT rights, Jacob Ewing acquitted, mom has to bury another child - Kansas City Star April 21, 2017Kansas City StarMorning Rush: LGBT rights, Jacob Ewing acquitted, mom has to bury another childKansas City StarAllison Pecorin reports on a debate being waged by lawmakers in Jefferson City over whether gay people should be protected from losing their jobs and from other forms of discrimination because of their sexual orientation. “Until we pass this […]
- LGBTQIA Centers as Models of Possibility - Huffington Post April 30, 2017LGBTQIA Centers as Models of PossibilityHuffington PostIn this moment, I believe higher education has an essential role to play in protecting our trans youth and modeling how we can build and maintain inclusive environments where transgender individuals can feel valued as equal, empowered members of the ...
- Gay vicar quits and attacks 'institutional homophobia' - The Guardian April 30, 2017The GuardianGay vicar quits and attacks 'institutional homophobia'The GuardianAndrew Foreshew-Cain, 53, a member of the General Synod, resigned from his London parish on Sunday, telling parishioners it was a “relief” because his ministry, and that of other gay and lesbian clergy, was “barely tolerated rather than fully accepted ...First married gay vicar quits as minister […]
- Keep the Anger, Lose the Hate November 15, 2016Anger is a powerful tool. If nothing else, this election proved that fact. Trump ran a hateful, angry campaign, and it paid off very well for him. The impulse to spew all that hate right back into his orange, pudgy little face is alarmingly strong. Succumbing to this temptation is satisfying too. The only thing […]Sam Danley
- How KC Played a Role in LGBT History October 25, 2016The Stonewall riots, which took place in New York City during the summer of 1969, are generally considered the spark that ignited the gay liberation movement. While there’s no denying the importance of Stonewall, many people often overlook another event that also played an important role in the emergence of LGBT activism. The first ever […]Sam Danley