“Radclyffe Hall to Gay Marriage: An Illustrated History of Queer Women in the US” Thursday, November 6th at 6pm in the UMKC Student Union Room 401 UMKC is excited to present a special lecture by Dr. Esther Newton. Dr. Newton is a Term Professor of American Culture and Women’s Studies at the University of Michigan. She […]
Laura Love with Big Bad Gina at UMKC! The Big Bad Love tour comes to UMKC! Willow Music of Kansas City, in collaboration with UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services, is excited to bring you Laura Love with Big Bad Gina Saturday, September 27th at 8pm in the Student Union Theater. Tickets can be purchased here through the UMKC […]
Join LGBTQIA Programs & Services for our Welcome Week events! Drag Queen Karaoke Tuesday, August 26th, 11am-1pm, Student Union Coffeehouse Hosted by Monique Heart and featuring Heidi Banks, come join LGBTQIA Programs & Services and the Union Programming Board for our 2014 Drag Queen Karaoke. LGBTQIA Ice Cream Social Thursday, August 28th, 11am-2pm, University […]
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they live. Our […]
- Kansas Urges Judge Not to Rule on Gay Marriage - ABC News November 1, 2014ABC NewsKansas Urges Judge Not to Rule on Gay MarriageABC NewsThe arguments came in a hearing on the ACLU's request for a preliminary injunction blocking enforcement of Kansas' gay-marriage ban while U.S. District Judge Daniel Crabtree considers the group's lawsuit on behalf of two lesbian couples. The ACLU filed ...Judge to hold hearing in Kansas gay […]
- Same-sex couples, ACLU request that federal judge lift Kansas' ban on gay ... - fox4kc.com November 1, 2014Same-sex couples, ACLU request that federal judge lift Kansas' ban on gay ...fox4kc.comKANSAS CITY, Kan. — Several same-sex couples packed a federal courtroom Friday afternoon. They, along with the American Civil Liberties Union, want a federal judge to lift the Kansas' current ban on gay marriage. The hearing lasted for about an hour ...
- Federal judge hears arguments on Kansas same-sex marriage ban - Kansas City Star October 31, 2014Federal judge hears arguments on Kansas same-sex marriage banKansas City StarIn that case, the state's high court was asked to set aside a Johnson County judge's order directing a court clerk to issue marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples. The judge's order was temporarily halted. A hearing on that case is set for Thursday.
- Federal judge in Kansas says he'll decide soon in gay marriage case - Lawrence Journal World October 31, 2014Federal judge in Kansas says he'll decide soon in gay marriage caseLawrence Journal WorldThe case was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of two lesbian couples — Kail Marie and Michelle Brown of Douglas County; and Kerry Wilks and Donna DiTriani of Sedgwick County — who say they are being denied a […]
- Federal judge schedules new hearing in challenge to Kansas gay marriage ban - LGBTQ Nation October 28, 2014LGBTQ NationFederal judge schedules new hearing in challenge to Kansas gay marriage banLGBTQ NationThe group says Kansas is bound by the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that struck down the Utah and Oklahoma bans. After the U.S. Supreme Court on October 6 declined to hear appeals from five states seeking to preserve gay marriage […]
- Gay rights in Singapore - The Economist (blog) November 1, 2014The Economist (blog)Gay rights in SingaporeThe Economist (blog)A FOUR-YEAR battle ended yesterday, when Singapore's highest court upheld the constitutionality of Section 377(a) of the country's penal code, which renders any man convicted of committing "or abet[ting] the commission of...any act of gross indecency ...Singapore's Ban on Gay Male Sex Is Upheld by Top CourtBloombergActivists condemn […]
- Trail Blazers can't slow Rudy Gay, Sacramento Kings in 103-94 loss: Game rewind - The Oregonian - OregonLive.com November 1, 2014The Oregonian - OregonLive.comTrail Blazers can't slow Rudy Gay, Sacramento Kings in 103-94 loss: Game rewindThe Oregonian - OregonLive.comThe Trail Blazers road opener looked much like the home opener. A slow start while letting a perceived weaker opponent dictate the action for three quarters. Unlike Wednesday night, Portland didn't dominate the fourth quarter as Sacramento […]
- Ice Cream Social serves up sugary introductions: Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services hold 9th annual event to raise awareness for LGBT programs September 8, 2014Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services co-sponsored the 9th annual Welcome Week Ice Cream Social on Aug. 28 in the University Walkway. Kona Ice served tropical flavored shaved ice to interested students from a company truck parked in the walkway. Pride Alliance, the University’s LGBT student organization, hosts the Ice Cream Social with LGBTQIA […]Tory Foulk
- From airlines to airwaves May 6, 2014Thomas Edmondson strolls into his classic truck club meetings in what many would designate a macho atmosphere. Most of the members know him, but at first glance the newly minted members see his salt-and-pepper colored hair, conservative glasses, and confident smile leading them to assume he’s just like them until he introduces his fiancé Lynn. […]Eppie O'Neal