“Letters Never Sent: A History of Lesbian Literature” Tuesday, November 18th at 12pm in the UMKC Student Union Room 302 UMKC Pride Alliance is excited to present a special lecture by local author and professor Sandra Moran. Moran’s first novel, Letters Never Sent, resonated deeply in the LGBT community when it was released a little more than […]
“Living As Trans: Changed Genders, Changed Perspectives” Wednesday, November 19th at 6pm in the UMKC Student Union Room 301 (SGA Chambers) UMKC is excited to present a special lecture by transgender author and activist Ellie Krug. Ellie will speak on living as a trans* person and how transitioning has changed her perspective on gender. Ellie will share about her experiences with the physical and […]
“Radclyffe Hall to Gay Marriage: An Illustrated History of Queer Women in the US” Thursday, November 6th at 6pm in the UMKC Student Union Room 401 UMKC is excited to present a special lecture by Dr. Esther Newton. Dr. Newton is a Term Professor of American Culture and Women’s Studies at the University of Michigan. She […]
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they live. Our […]
- ACLU revises Kansas gay marriage lawsuit to raise new claims - Lawrence Journal World November 26, 2014ABC NewsACLU revises Kansas gay marriage lawsuit to raise new claimsLawrence Journal WorldWichita — The American Civil Liberties Union revised on Wednesday its lawsuit over gay marriage in Kansas to include claims that the state is refusing to recognize unions performed in Kansas and other states. The group's amended complaint seeks to ...ACLU revises gay […]
- Equality Kansas Clarifies Gay Marriage Situation in the State - Towleroad November 24, 2014Equality Kansas Clarifies Gay Marriage Situation in the StateTowleroadThere are currently NO state agencies that are recognizing any same-sex marriage, whether performed in Kansas or out-of-state. Governor Sam Brownback has apparently decided to keep us as second-class citizens for as long as possible. This means we ...
- Kansas City, Missouri, Companies Score Higher On LGBT Friendliness Than ... - KCUR November 21, 2014Kansas City, Missouri, Companies Score Higher On LGBT Friendliness Than ...KCURThe Human Rights Campaign's 2015 Corporate Equality Index rated 13 companies that are based in the metro in Kansas and Missouri for their policies tied to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees. On average, the eight companies that the index ...BMO Harris Bank Earns Top Marks […]
- Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback Refusing to Grant Marriage Rights to Gay Couples - Towleroad November 20, 2014KCURKansas Gov. Sam Brownback Refusing to Grant Marriage Rights to Gay CouplesTowleroadDespite marriage equality having already commenced in many counties in Kansas, GOP state officials are continuing to drag their heels in defiance, with Governor Sam Brownback announcing today that he will not allow any state recognition of same-sex ...Brownback Won't Allow Marriage Rights To Gay […]
- Kansas City Royals Marketing Executive Matt Schulte Comes Out as Gay - VIDEO - Towleroad November 20, 2014Kansas City Royals Marketing Executive Matt Schulte Comes Out as Gay - VIDEOTowleroadMatt Schulte, marketing coordinator for Major League Baseball team Kansas City Royals, has come out in an interview with Outsports. As the Royals made their unexpected run through the playoffs this year, Schulte began exploring the idea of coming out.and more »
- Report: Loophole could allow transgender troops to serve under new DoD policy - Military Times November 27, 2014Military TimesReport: Loophole could allow transgender troops to serve under new DoD policyMilitary TimesLegal and military experts with the Palm Center, a San Francisco-based think tank focused on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender military service, made that startling charge in a new report. The update — to Defense Department Instruction 1332.18, ...US military urged to allow […]
- Remembering Transgender Murder Victims - urbanmilwaukee November 26, 2014Remembering Transgender Murder Victimsurbanmilwaukee“We try engaging people through a form of interaction; this year we made signs saying “trans-lives matter because…” and participants wrote their thoughts. We always read the names of trans people who have died from anti-trans violence from the ...
- Ice Cream Social serves up sugary introductions: Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services hold 9th annual event to raise awareness for LGBT programs September 8, 2014Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services co-sponsored the 9th annual Welcome Week Ice Cream Social on Aug. 28 in the University Walkway. Kona Ice served tropical flavored shaved ice to interested students from a company truck parked in the walkway. Pride Alliance, the University’s LGBT student organization, hosts the Ice Cream Social with LGBTQIA […]Tory Foulk
- From airlines to airwaves May 6, 2014Thomas Edmondson strolls into his classic truck club meetings in what many would designate a macho atmosphere. Most of the members know him, but at first glance the newly minted members see his salt-and-pepper colored hair, conservative glasses, and confident smile leading them to assume he’s just like them until he introduces his fiancé Lynn. […]Eppie O'Neal