UMKC and the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures is proud to welcome DENICE FROHMAN! Denice is an award-winning poet, lyricist, and educator, whose work explores the intersections of race, gender, sexuality, and the “in-betweeness” that exists in us all. Born and raised in New York City, she is the 2013 Women of the World Poetry Slam Champion, […]
States of Grace Tuesday, April 5th at 7pm Student Union Theater Join us for a special FREE screening of States of Grace. The profound transformation of a Bay Area family lies at the heart of this story about resilience and the healing power of community and spiritual practice. For Dr. Grace Dammann, a pioneering AIDS specialist, […]
UMKC SGA Black Lives Matter Speaker Series and UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month Presents: A Conversation with Janet Mock Monday, April 18th 6:00pm UMKC Pierson Auditorium Register Here Celebrating UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month and the UMKC SGA Black Lives Matter Series, in collaboration with the University of Missouri-Kansas City LGBTQIA Affairs Council, UMKC Student Government […]
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they […]
Join us on February 11th, Roos! The LGBTQIA Affairs Student Council hopes you will join us for the next LGBTQIA Social! Come meet your different LGBTQIA student organizations, play some games, and enjoy some FREE food! We hope to see you Thursday, February 11th at 7:00pm in the Oak Street Hall Basement.
- Arrest made in stabbing of transgender woman in Kansas - Metro Weekly May 5, 2016Metro WeeklyArrest made in stabbing of transgender woman in KansasMetro WeeklyWichita-based CBS affiliate KWCH, citing police records, has reported that the teenager's mother claims her son was defending himself from being sexually assaulted by Walker, seeming to indicate that the suspect may pursue a “gay panic” defense at some ...Transgender Woman Reecey Walker Fatally Stabbed in […]
- NC's HB2 transgender law violates Civil Rights Act, feds say - Kansas City Star May 4, 2016Kansas City StarNC's HB2 transgender law violates Civil Rights Act, feds sayKansas City StarU.S. Justice Department officials Wednesday notified North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory that House Bill 2 violates the U.S. Civil Rights Act. The department gave state officials until Monday to address the situation “by confirming that the State will not ...DOJ to North […]
- Trans woman stabbed to death in Kansas - Washington Blade May 4, 2016Washington BladeTrans woman stabbed to death in KansasWashington BladeWICHITA, Kan. — A 16-year-old boy faces a second-degree murder charge in the death of a transgender woman. KAKE, a Wichita television station, reported the teenager allegedly stabbed Tyreece “Reecey” Walker to death on May 1 in the apartment ...and more »
- Letters on Kansas budget, GOP establishment, transgender bathrooms, wind energy, Cruz - Wichita Eagle May 4, 2016Letters on Kansas budget, GOP establishment, transgender bathrooms, wind energy, CruzWichita EagleIn recent days Republican voices have continued to say that Kansas has a spending problem, not a revenue problem. Despite anti-tax crusader Grover Norquist's often-quoted desire to reduce government “to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub ...
- Obama expected to declare first national monument for gay rights - Kansas City Star May 4, 2016Washington PostObama expected to declare first national monument for gay rightsKansas City StarPresident Obama is poised to declare the first national monument recognizing the struggle for gay rights, singling out a sliver of green space and part of the surrounding Greenwich Village neighborhood as the birthplace of America's modern gay ...Obama to name Stonewall 1st […]
- Transgender People Aren't a Threat to You - Huffington Post May 6, 2016Huffington PostTransgender People Aren't a Threat to YouHuffington PostAnti-trans laws are not about restrooms, locker rooms, safety, or privacy but about expelling trans people from public life. Those most impacted by these laws have been and will always be trans people who are already subject to the most policing and ...and more »
- Why an Activist Was Sentenced to Death for Being a Lesbian - TIME May 6, 2016TIMEWhy an Activist Was Sentenced to Death for Being a LesbianTIMEAmal had watched for years as some of her secretly gay friends in Uganda were outed and subsequently burned alive or beaten to death. The 22-year-old created an underground LGBT organization to bring gay people in the country together. Then a rumor ...
- New Fraternity Strives for Greater LGBT Acceptance November 8, 2015Tweet A new fraternity has joined UMKC’s campus this semester. Delta Lambda Phi is a new interest group fraternity that participates in community service, social and philanthropic events. LGBT support is one of the key factors allowing this fraternity to be different than the rest on campus. Junior Zendrix Berndt recently joined DLP. […]Jared Thompson
- Ice Cream Social serves up sugary introductions: Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services hold 9th annual event to raise awareness for LGBT programs September 8, 2014Tweet Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services co-sponsored the 9th annual Welcome Week Ice Cream Social on Aug. 28 in the University Walkway. Kona Ice served tropical flavored shaved ice to interested students from a company truck parked in the walkway. Pride Alliance, the University’s LGBT student organization, hosts the Ice Cream Social with […]Tory Foulk