UMKC Celebrates LGBTQIA Pride Month 2015–belovedly known as Gaypril! Pride is a month for education, reflection, action, and PRIDE! Most events are FREE, and we hope you can join us at ALL of them.
Join us on April 28th, Roos! The LGBTQIA Affairs Student Council hopes you will join us for the next LGBTQIA Social! Come meet your different LGBTQIA student organizations, play some games, and enjoy some FREE food! We hope to see you Tuesday, April 28th at 7:00pm in the Johnson Residence Hall First Floor Lounge.
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they […]
“Andrea Gibson is not gentle with her truths. It is this raw fearlessness that has led her to the forefront of the spoken word movement– the first winner of the Women’s World Poetry Slam –Gibson has headlined prestigious performance venues coast to coast with powerful readings on war, class, gender, bullying, white privilege, sexuality, love, […]
UMKC Pride Awards serves to acknowledge members of the UMKC community who have contributed to the betterment of our LGBTQIA community through education, support, programming, or activism. These select awards aim to identify outstanding individuals who have contributed through these areas of service and outreach, establishing a safer and more welcoming environment at UMKC. A […]
- Some Kansas judges will not say whether they will issue same-sex marriage ... - Wichita Eagle June 29, 2015Wichita EagleSome Kansas judges will not say whether they will issue same-sex marriage ...Wichita EagleSome judges in Kansas would not say Monday whether they will issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Most of Kansas' judicial districts have started issuing licenses, but seven have not said whether they will comply with the Supreme Court's ruling ...and more »
- Lady Gaga, European official slam Turkish gay pride violence - Kansas City Star June 29, 2015Lady Gaga, European official slam Turkish gay pride violenceKansas City StarParticipants of a Gay Pride event in support of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual (LGBT) rights, wave flags in Istanbul, Sunday, June 28, 2015. Turkish police have used water cannons and tear gas to clear gay pride demonstrators from Istanbul's ...and more »
- Early, weighty choices in 'Frontline' doc 'Growing Up Trans' - Kansas City Star June 29, 2015Early, weighty choices in 'Frontline' doc 'Growing Up Trans'Kansas City Star"Growing Up Trans" explores the transgender phenomenon as younger people than ever (and their parents) now experience it: a frontier of possibilities and unknowns, and a minefield of high-stakes choices for these youngsters as they also navigate the ...and more »
- TheChat: Anthony Kennedy emerges as gay rights icon - Kansas City Star (blog) June 29, 2015Kansas City Star (blog)TheChat: Anthony Kennedy emerges as gay rights iconKansas City Star (blog)Maybe this week will be a little quieter than last, which ranks as one of the best weeks for news in awhile: ▫ “It's impossible to overstate his importance.” — Camilla Taylor, counsel and director of Lambda Legal's marriage project, on Supreme […]
- Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay marriage ruling - Kansas City Star June 29, 2015Christian Science MonitorReligious liberty is rallying cry after gay marriage rulingKansas City StarNow that same-sex marriage is legal nationwide, religious conservatives are focusing on preserving their right to object. Their concerns are for the thousands of faith-based charities, colleges and hospitals that want to hire, fire, serve and set ...In Some States, Defiance Over Supreme […]
- Why Gun Control and Abortion Are Different From Gay Marriage - New York Times June 30, 2015New York TimesWhy Gun Control and Abortion Are Different From Gay MarriageNew York TimesThe legalization of same-sex marriage is a potent example of a dominant theme in American history: Over time, civil rights expand, and discrimination ebbs. Discrimination doesn't end, as a recent mass shooting and some police interactions with the ...and more »
- Openly Transgender Swimmer at Harvard Believed to Be a 1st - ABC News June 30, 2015Openly Transgender Swimmer at Harvard Believed to Be a 1stABC NewsSchuyler Bailar was a star recruit for the women's swimming team at Harvard University, a tough competitor with a shot at winning titles. But Bailar is opting to forgo such honors to join the men's team instead, competing as the first openly ...and more »
- Ice Cream Social serves up sugary introductions: Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services hold 9th annual event to raise awareness for LGBT programs September 8, 2014Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services co-sponsored the 9th annual Welcome Week Ice Cream Social on Aug. 28 in the University Walkway. Kona Ice served tropical flavored shaved ice to interested students from a company truck parked in the walkway. Pride Alliance, the University’s LGBT student organization, hosts the Ice Cream Social with LGBTQIA […]Tory Foulk
- From airlines to airwaves May 6, 2014Thomas Edmondson strolls into his classic truck club meetings in what many would designate a macho atmosphere. Most of the members know him, but at first glance the newly minted members see his salt-and-pepper colored hair, conservative glasses, and confident smile leading them to assume he’s just like them until he introduces his fiancé Lynn. […]Eppie O'Neal