Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they live. Our programs aim to provide students, faculty, and […]
UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services in collaboration with Dycon Productions is excited to bring you the Queer Queens of Qomedy, Saturday, April 12th at 7pm in the Student Union Theater. Tickets can be purchased here through the UMKC Central Ticket Office. Poppy Champlin’s stand-up pedigree is flawless; from her latest SHOWTIME SPECIAL: PRIDE, and LOGO […]
UMKC Pride Awards serves to acknowledge members of the UMKC community who have contributed to the betterment of our LGBTQIA community through education, support, programming, or activism. These select awards aim to identify outstanding individuals who have contributed through these areas of service and outreach, establishing a safer and more welcoming environment at UMKC. A […]
Help support LGBTQIA Programs & Services, while showing your Roo-Pride! LGBTQIA Programs & Services is proud to be celebrating 10 years of service at UMKC. Your support contributes to continued programs, resources, and support for our students at UMKC. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your order today. $10 for students | $20 for non-students
- Kansas judge grants Chelsea Manning's request to change name - The Guardian April 23, 2014The GuardianKansas judge grants Chelsea Manning's request to change nameThe Guardian"Hopefully today's name change, while so meaningful to me personally, can also raise awareness of the fact that we [transgender] people exist everywhere in America today, and that we have must jump through hurdles every day just for being who we are ...Judge ap […]
- Gay, Christian author seeks to start a conversation - Kansas.com April 22, 2014Kansas.comGay, Christian author seeks to start a conversationKansas.comVines said that when it comes to advocating for same-sex marriage, those in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities are weakest when they try to talk about the Bible. So the project aims to train them and other affirming Christians in ...God and the Gay Christian: A Wesleya […]
- Was Suspect in Kansas Murders Tied to Attack on Gay Bookstore? - Advocate.com April 19, 2014Advocate.comWas Suspect in Kansas Murders Tied to Attack on Gay Bookstore?Advocate.comFrazier Glenn Miller, accused of killing three people at Jewish community sites last weekend, may have connections to murders at a gay adult bookstore in North Carolina in 1987, says an investigative report from Raw Story.
- Kansas shooter's ties to 1987 gay slayings: Did feds protect a killer? - QNotes April 18, 2014QNotesKansas shooter's ties to 1987 gay slayings: Did feds protect a killer?QNotesOn April 13, Frazier Glenn Miller was arrested after he allegedly shot and killed three people at a Jewish Community Center and a Jewish retirement center in suburban Kansas City. Within hours of the arrest, the media reported that Miller had a long ...
- Anti-gay protesters should know they're not in Kansas anymore - MassLive.com April 16, 2014KtooAnti-gay protesters should know they're not in Kansas anymoreMassLive.comA visit by the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas on Wednesday to protest Derrick Gordon's coming-out announcement shows this group is nothing if not able to juggle its busy schedule of serving as God's vocal chords. Known for picketing ...Westboro Baptist Chur […]
- Madonna's 'Gay' Kale Comment Has Fans Fired Up - ABC News (blog) April 24, 2014ABC News (blog)Madonna's 'Gay' Kale Comment Has Fans Fired UpABC News (blog)The pop star recently took part in Buzzfeed's word-association game and was asked to write down the first thing that came to mind for 10 completely random things. She also wrote “gay” for Russian President Vladimir Putin. But it was her response to the ...Madonna […]
- How Much Gay Sex Should a Novel Have? - New Yorker (blog) April 24, 2014New Yorker (blog)How Much Gay Sex Should a Novel Have?New Yorker (blog)Lesbian sex presents a different set of hazards, no less challenging to navigate, and those of trans sex remain largely uncharted.) Accordingly, the prose of gay writers, even in the sixties, was comparatively discreet. In 1963, when Grove Press ...
- Benefit concert provides patrons with limitless laughter November 18, 2013Margaret Cho and company keep audience laughing, thinking An evening of laughs and raunchy entertainment commandeered the Folly Theatre on Nov. 13. A benefit show for the LIKEME Lighthouse, a Kansas City-based LGBT community center, offered a line-up of topnotch comedians. Chely Wright, Kansas City native and founder of the LIKEME organization, hosted the ni […]Roze Brooks
- LGBTQIA Programs and Services Celebrates 10 Years September 10, 2013LGBTQIA Programs and Services celebrates 10 years of dedication and advocacy for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual and ally students this year. Though this acronym may seem long and overwhelming to some, UMKC’s history of pride and progress has paved the way for the success of not only the decade-old resource center, […]Jessica Turner