Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they […]
UMKC and the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures is proud to welcome DENICE FROHMAN! Denice is an award-winning poet, lyricist, and educator, whose work explores the intersections of race, gender, sexuality, and the “in-betweeness” that exists in us all. Born and raised in New York City, she is the 2013 Women of the World Poetry Slam Champion, […]
States of Grace Tuesday, April 5th at 7pm Student Union Theater Join us for a special FREE screening of States of Grace. The profound transformation of a Bay Area family lies at the heart of this story about resilience and the healing power of community and spiritual practice. For Dr. Grace Dammann, a pioneering AIDS specialist, […]
UMKC SGA Black Lives Matter Speaker Series and UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month Presents: A Conversation with Janet Mock Monday, April 18th 6:00pm UMKC Pierson Auditorium Register Here Celebrating UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month and the UMKC SGA Black Lives Matter Series, in collaboration with the University of Missouri-Kansas City LGBTQIA Affairs Council, UMKC Student Government […]
Join us on February 11th, Roos! The LGBTQIA Affairs Student Council hopes you will join us for the next LGBTQIA Social! Come meet your different LGBTQIA student organizations, play some games, and enjoy some FREE food! We hope to see you Thursday, February 11th at 7:00pm in the Oak Street Hall Basement.
- It's Clinton's show, but Trump does his best to steal it - KAKE July 27, 2016KAKEIt's Clinton's show, but Trump does his best to steal itKAKEIn his news conference, he hammered Clinton on her trade policy, saying if she is elected she will flip her opposition to the Trans-Pacific trade deal. He also backed an increase to the minimum wage to $10 per hour. During the Democrats' convention ...Unity push […]
- Transgender school bathrooms still debated in Kansas town - Lawrence Journal World July 26, 2016Lawrence Journal WorldTransgender school bathrooms still debated in Kansas townLawrence Journal WorldDerby — A south-central Kansas school district has agreed to let students use bathrooms matching their gender identity while a local task force explores the issue that has divided the school system's patrons. The governing board of the Derby school ...Transgenders and others speak […]
- Derby school district at odds over transgender bathroom policy - Wichita Eagle July 25, 2016Wichita EagleDerby school district at odds over transgender bathroom policyWichita EagleAbout two months ago, after the Obama administration directed public schools to allow transgender students to use bathrooms matching their gender identity, Derby officials said they planned to follow the federal directive. ... Lawmakers in several ...
- Marshall, Huelskamp in dead heat in 'Big First' race - Wichita Eagle July 24, 2016Wichita EagleMarshall, Huelskamp in dead heat in 'Big First' raceWichita EagleOn the issue of school bathroom use by transgender students, the poll found that 67 percent of respondents think the Obama administration overstepped its bounds with a recent directive to schools to ensure that transgender students have access to the ...'Farm Team' Bucks Incumbent Huelskamp […]
- Readers share views on LGBT issues, Donald Trump, Kris Kobach - Kansas City Star July 23, 2016Readers share views on LGBT issues, Donald Trump, Kris KobachKansas City StarAfter solving the non-issue of transgender children using the appropriate bathrooms, lawmakers should now turn their attention to the very real invasion of privacy caused by adult men lurking around women's fitting rooms. ... If everyone who has an ...and more »
- 5 Things to Know About the Trans Pacific Partnership - NBCNews.com July 27, 2016NBCNews.com5 Things to Know About the Trans Pacific PartnershipNBCNews.comDepending on who you ask, the Trans Pacific Partnership, a sweeping multinational trade deal between the U.S. and 11 Pacific Rim nations, will either bring about a new golden era in global business investment or is the dark harbinger of further ...TPP: What Exactly Is the Trans-Pacific […]
- Transgender People Aren't Mentally Ill and Shouldn't Be Labeled as Such - Slate Magazine July 27, 2016Slate MagazineTransgender People Aren't Mentally Ill and Shouldn't Be Labeled as SuchSlate MagazineIt's a bit embarrassing to remember that it was less than half a century ago that being gay was listed as a mental illness by the American Psychiatric Association. The organization declassified homosexuality as a mental illness in 1973, thanks in ...Health|WHO Weighs […]
- New Fraternity Strives for Greater LGBT Acceptance November 8, 2015Tweet A new fraternity has joined UMKC’s campus this semester. Delta Lambda Phi is a new interest group fraternity that participates in community service, social and philanthropic events. LGBT support is one of the key factors allowing this fraternity to be different than the rest on campus. Junior Zendrix Berndt recently joined DLP. […]Jared Thompson
- Ice Cream Social serves up sugary introductions: Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services hold 9th annual event to raise awareness for LGBT programs September 8, 2014Tweet Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services co-sponsored the 9th annual Welcome Week Ice Cream Social on Aug. 28 in the University Walkway. Kona Ice served tropical flavored shaved ice to interested students from a company truck parked in the walkway. Pride Alliance, the University’s LGBT student organization, hosts the Ice Cream Social with […]Tory Foulk