UMKC Celebrates LGBTQIA Pride Month 2015–belovedly known as Gaypril! Pride is a month for education, reflection, action, and PRIDE! Most events are FREE, and we hope you can join us at ALL of them.
Join us on April 28th, Roos! The LGBTQIA Affairs Student Council hopes you will join us for the next LGBTQIA Social! Come meet your different LGBTQIA student organizations, play some games, and enjoy some FREE food! We hope to see you Tuesday, April 28th at 7:00pm in the Johnson Residence Hall First Floor Lounge.
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they […]
“Andrea Gibson is not gentle with her truths. It is this raw fearlessness that has led her to the forefront of the spoken word movement– the first winner of the Women’s World Poetry Slam –Gibson has headlined prestigious performance venues coast to coast with powerful readings on war, class, gender, bullying, white privilege, sexuality, love, […]
UMKC Pride Awards serves to acknowledge members of the UMKC community who have contributed to the betterment of our LGBTQIA community through education, support, programming, or activism. These select awards aim to identify outstanding individuals who have contributed through these areas of service and outreach, establishing a safer and more welcoming environment at UMKC. A […]
- NC gov. vetoes bill on religious objection to gay marriage - Kansas City Star May 29, 2015NC gov. vetoes bill on religious objection to gay marriageKansas City StarNorth Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory has vetoed a religious exemption bill that would allow some court officials to avoid gay marriage duties. The Republican governor announced his decision Thursday — hours after lawmakers gave their final approval to the ...and more »
- This Map Shows How Far There Is To Go In LGBT Rights -- Even After Marriage ... - Huffington Post May 28, 2015This Map Shows How Far There Is To Go In LGBT Rights -- Even After Marriage ...Huffington PostA record 60 percent of Americans now favor same-sex marriage rights, according to a new Gallup poll, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights advocates await the U.S. Supreme Court's forthcoming ruling on marriage equality with bated […]
- Science magazine retracts study on voters' gay-rights views - Kansas City Star May 28, 2015Science magazine retracts study on voters' gay-rights viewsKansas City StarScience magazine has formally retracted an article about a study gauging the ability of openly gay canvassers to shift voters' views toward support for same-sex marriage. One of the authors of the article, Columbia University political science ...and more »
- Northern Ireland bakery owners to appeal 'gay cake' verdict - Kansas City Star May 28, 2015Northern Ireland bakery owners to appeal 'gay cake' verdictKansas City StarThe owners of a Northern Ireland bakery that refused to bake a cake supporting gay marriage said Thursday they would appeal their conviction for discrimination. The Christian owners of Ashers Baking Company were convicted last week after refusing an ...and more »
- Divisive anti-gay marriage bill falls in Texas Legislature - Kansas City Star May 28, 2015Divisive anti-gay marriage bill falls in Texas LegislatureKansas City StarDivisive efforts by Texas Republicans to defy the U.S. Supreme Court if same-sex marriage is legalized ended Wednesday night with conservative finger-pointing and opponents feeling relieved. The first session under Republican Gov. Greg Abbott will end ...and more »
- 'The Bachelorette' -- Brokeback Bachelors Are NOT GAY - TMZ.com May 29, 2015TMZ.com'The Bachelorette' -- Brokeback Bachelors Are NOT GAYTMZ.comThe Bachelorette's big gay event -- the so-called "Brokeback Bachelor" moment where 2 of the guys fall in love with each other -- is missing something ... 2 gay guys. TMZ has learned both guys -- Clint and JJ -- are both straight as arrows. Multiple ...The Bachelorette […]
- How Ireland's gay marriage vote exposes the catch-22 of modern Christianity - The Week Magazine May 29, 2015The Week MagazineHow Ireland's gay marriage vote exposes the catch-22 of modern ChristianityThe Week MagazineIf someone in 1995 had told me that in 20 years over 60 percent of the Irish electorate would vote to approve same-sex marriage, I'd have called this person a madman. Hell, two decades ago I'd have scoffed at predictions about […]
- Ice Cream Social serves up sugary introductions: Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services hold 9th annual event to raise awareness for LGBT programs September 8, 2014Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services co-sponsored the 9th annual Welcome Week Ice Cream Social on Aug. 28 in the University Walkway. Kona Ice served tropical flavored shaved ice to interested students from a company truck parked in the walkway. Pride Alliance, the University’s LGBT student organization, hosts the Ice Cream Social with LGBTQIA […]Tory Foulk
- From airlines to airwaves May 6, 2014Thomas Edmondson strolls into his classic truck club meetings in what many would designate a macho atmosphere. Most of the members know him, but at first glance the newly minted members see his salt-and-pepper colored hair, conservative glasses, and confident smile leading them to assume he’s just like them until he introduces his fiancé Lynn. […]Eppie O'Neal