LGBTQIA Social Meetings Every Tuesday of Fall 2017 2:30pm in Student Union 325 (Rainbow Lounge) Pride Alliance are working together to provide LGBTQIA Social Meetings. These are weekly meetings where those who identify as LGBTQIA and allies meet together. Meetings consist of checking in on how each person is doing, discussing current events, and ultimately learning about […]
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they […]
Wednesday, April 12th 6:00pm UMKC Pierson Auditorium Register Here Celebrating UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month in collaboration with the University of Missouri-Kansas City LGBTQIA Affairs Council, UMKC Student Government Association (SGA), and LGBTQIA Programs & Services in the Office of Student Involvement. Angelica Ross: Transgender Entrepreneur, Activist, Model & Actress From the board room, to film […]
UMKC Pride Alliance and UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services is excited to welcome trans athletes and educators Pat Manuel and Edxie Betts to UMKC, next Tuesday November 15th. Cosponsored by the UMKC Title IX Office and the Student Activity Fee Committee. On November 15th, Pat and Edxie will lead two workshops for UMKC students, faculty, staff, […]
UMKC is proud to host the 4th annual Show Me Pride College Summit in partnership with the Missouri GSA Network. The Summit is a unique “UnConference” experience, created for flexibility and empowerment of Missouri college students. Please register and help us spread the word–all Missouri college students are welcome to attend! Registration is live! Fill out the form below or click […]
- Trans World Airlines brotherhood still strong years after it closed - KSHB September 21, 2017KSHBTrans World Airlines brotherhood still strong years after it closedKSHBKANSAS CITY, Mo. - It's a reunion that brings hundreds of people together across the metro area. The second Tuesday of every other month, hundreds of former Trans World Airlines employees converge on the Golden Corral near the Kansas City Airport.
- Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing gay customers - Kansas City Star September 21, 2017Kansas City StarJudge rejects couple's argument for refusing gay customersKansas City StarA federal judge has dismissed a Minnesota couple's lawsuit challenging a state law for the right to refuse to shoot wedding videos for same-sex couples. Chief U.S. District Judge John Tunheim in Minneapolis dismissed Carl and Angel Larsen's case ...and more »
- Transgender veterans build community in Kansas - Salon September 20, 2017SalonTransgender veterans build community in KansasSalonWichita, Kansas may not seem like a city that hosts pride parades complete with rainbow flags, balloons and banners. Kansas is traditionally known for its conservatism, not for people working on advancing lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender ...
- Kansas high school students stage sit-in to demand punishment for student athletes who mocked transgender classmates - USA TODAY High School Sports September 20, 2017USA TODAY High School SportsKansas high school students stage sit-in to demand punishment for student athletes who mocked transgender classmatesUSA TODAY High School SportsAccording to the Lawrence publication, the chat included comments which referred to transgender people as “mentally ill” and messages such as, “If a (slur for transgender person) hits you is it still […]
- Brazil ruling that homosexuality is disease to be appealed - Kansas City Star September 19, 2017BBC NewsBrazil ruling that homosexuality is disease to be appealedKansas City StarIvete Sangalo, one of Brazil's most popular singers, said on Instagram that believing being gay is a disease is an "absurdity." Toni Reis, who heads the National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Alliance, told reporters the injunction is a step ...Brazilian judge approves 'gay […]
- Transgender women sue Iowa over Medicaid coverage ban - DesMoinesRegister.com September 21, 2017DesMoinesRegister.comTransgender women sue Iowa over Medicaid coverage banDesMoinesRegister.comTwo transgender women filed suit Thursday against Iowa over its ban on Medicaid coverage for transition-related medical services such as sex-reassignment surgery. Represented by the ACLU of Iowa, the women — Carol Ann Beal of northwest Iowa and ...ACLU files suit against Iowa DHS over transgender surgical careKCCI Des […]
- Transgender Bathroom Ballot Initiative Suffers Setback in Montana - NBCNews.com September 21, 2017NBCNews.comTransgender Bathroom Ballot Initiative Suffers Setback in MontanaNBCNews.comHELENA, Mont. — The Montana Supreme Court ordered the state attorney general to rewrite ballot language for an initiative that would require people to use public restrooms and locker rooms designated for their gender at birth. The court ruled Tuesday ...and more »
- Keep the Anger, Lose the Hate November 15, 2016Anger is a powerful tool. If nothing else, this election proved that fact. Trump ran a hateful, angry campaign, and it paid off very well for him. The impulse to spew all that hate right back into his orange, pudgy little face is alarmingly strong. Succumbing to this temptation is satisfying too. The only thing […]Sam Danley
- How KC Played a Role in LGBT History October 25, 2016The Stonewall riots, which took place in New York City during the summer of 1969, are generally considered the spark that ignited the gay liberation movement. While there’s no denying the importance of Stonewall, many people often overlook another event that also played an important role in the emergence of LGBT activism. The first ever […]Sam Danley