UMKC Celebrates LGBTQIA Pride Month 2015–belovedly known as Gaypril! Pride is a month for education, reflection, action, and PRIDE! Most events are FREE, and we hope you can join us at ALL of them.
Join us on April 28th, Roos! The LGBTQIA Affairs Student Council hopes you will join us for the next LGBTQIA Social! Come meet your different LGBTQIA student organizations, play some games, and enjoy some FREE food! We hope to see you Tuesday, April 28th at 7:00pm in the Johnson Residence Hall First Floor Lounge.
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they […]
“Andrea Gibson is not gentle with her truths. It is this raw fearlessness that has led her to the forefront of the spoken word movement– the first winner of the Women’s World Poetry Slam –Gibson has headlined prestigious performance venues coast to coast with powerful readings on war, class, gender, bullying, white privilege, sexuality, love, […]
UMKC Pride Awards serves to acknowledge members of the UMKC community who have contributed to the betterment of our LGBTQIA community through education, support, programming, or activism. These select awards aim to identify outstanding individuals who have contributed through these areas of service and outreach, establishing a safer and more welcoming environment at UMKC. A […]
- Baltimore unrest puts spotlight on O'Malley's stint as mayor - News & Observer May 3, 2015News & ObserverBaltimore unrest puts spotlight on O'Malley's stint as mayorNews & ObserverFILE - In this March 7, 2015 file photo, former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley talks to reporters in Topeka, Kansas. O'Malley often casts his adopted hometown of Baltimore as the comeback city, a community that overcame the ravages of drugs and violence ...and more »
- 'Little appetite' for LGBT protections in Missouri legislature - Columbia Missourian May 3, 2015'Little appetite' for LGBT protections in Missouri legislatureColumbia MissourianSteve McLuckie, D-Kansas City, introduced the first version of the bill now known as the Missouri Nondiscrimination Act. It would have banned discrimination based on sexual orientation in housing, employment and public accommodations. ... has 160,000 ...and more »
- Philadelphia Eagles 2015 Draft: The Good, the Bad and the Baffling - Bleacher Report May 3, 2015Bleacher ReportPhiladelphia Eagles 2015 Draft: The Good, the Bad and the BafflingBleacher ReportThe Philadelphia Eagles did some good things in the NFL draft over the weekend. They also made a few decisions that will be open to scrutiny. Then there were the ones that simply make you scratch your head. Every NFL draft has its […]
- The Monday Poll: Baltimore, gay marriage and much more - Kansas City Star May 1, 2015Kansas City StarThe Monday Poll: Baltimore, gay marriage and much moreKansas City StarHot topics abound this week. Put it all together, and we offer a Monday Poll potpourri. Public protests and arrests of police officers in Baltimore; debates on gay marriage at the U.S. Supreme Court; and stories about Bishop Robert W. Finn and gas […]
- Transgender army major wins victory in conservative Serbia - Kansas City Star May 1, 2015Kansas City StarTransgender army major wins victory in conservative SerbiaKansas City StarBy speaking out, Helena has become a rare voice representing Serbia's transgender community, which lives under constant fear of hate crimes on the margins of the society. Tolerance for the LGBT community across the Balkans is low, and several gay pride ...and more »
- Charlotte City Manager Carlee clarifies city's transgender restroom policy - Charlotte Observer May 3, 2015Charlotte ObserverCharlotte City Manager Carlee clarifies city's transgender restroom policyCharlotte ObserverIn March, the Charlotte City Council rejected a nondiscrimination proposal that would have forced private businesses to accommodate lesbian, gay and transgender people. The proposal drew protests over a provision that gave transgender people access to ...
- What I've learned from transgender clients: Psychotherapy on the gender frontier - Salon May 3, 2015SalonWhat I've learned from transgender clients: Psychotherapy on the gender frontierSalonJane, only 10 years older than me, became my “good mother,” my lesbian mentor, the only one whose sole purpose in our relational space was to know me, understand me, take care of my needs. ... I've muddled through many deer-in-the-headlights moments ...
- Ice Cream Social serves up sugary introductions: Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services hold 9th annual event to raise awareness for LGBT programs September 8, 2014Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services co-sponsored the 9th annual Welcome Week Ice Cream Social on Aug. 28 in the University Walkway. Kona Ice served tropical flavored shaved ice to interested students from a company truck parked in the walkway. Pride Alliance, the University’s LGBT student organization, hosts the Ice Cream Social with LGBTQIA […]Tory Foulk
- From airlines to airwaves May 6, 2014Thomas Edmondson strolls into his classic truck club meetings in what many would designate a macho atmosphere. Most of the members know him, but at first glance the newly minted members see his salt-and-pepper colored hair, conservative glasses, and confident smile leading them to assume he’s just like them until he introduces his fiancé Lynn. […]Eppie O'Neal