UMKC is proud to host the 4th annual Show Me Pride College Summit in partnership with the Missouri GSA Network. The Summit is a unique “UnConference” experience, created for flexibility and empowerment of Missouri college students. Please register and help us spread the word–all Missouri college students are welcome to attend! Registration is live! Fill out the form below or click […]
Janaya Khan Thursday, November 3rd at 6pm Pierson Auditorium Register Here International Ambassador for the #BlackLivesMatter Network Janaya Khan, known as Future in the Black Lives Matter movement, is a Black, queer, gender-nonconforming activist, staunch Afrofuturist, social-justice educator and boxer based in Toronto. As the co-founder of Black Lives Matter Toronto, they are committed to […]
Welcome to the homepage for UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services. Housed in the Office of Student Involvement, our mission is to provide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become full members of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they […]
UMKC and the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures is proud to welcome DENICE FROHMAN! Denice is an award-winning poet, lyricist, and educator, whose work explores the intersections of race, gender, sexuality, and the “in-betweeness” that exists in us all. Born and raised in New York City, she is the 2013 Women of the World Poetry Slam Champion, […]
States of Grace Tuesday, April 5th at 7pm Student Union Theater Join us for a special FREE screening of States of Grace. The profound transformation of a Bay Area family lies at the heart of this story about resilience and the healing power of community and spiritual practice. For Dr. Grace Dammann, a pioneering AIDS specialist, […]
- Investors join call for North Carolina to repeal LGBT bill - Kansas City Star September 26, 2016Investors join call for North Carolina to repeal LGBT billKansas City StarAbout 60 investors representing $2.1 trillion in managed assets are joining the NCAA, entertainers and more than 200 businesses in calling for North Carolina to repeal its law limiting LGBT protections against discrimination. Trillium Asset Management ...and more »
- Social justice warriors invade University of Kansas debate on 'safe spaces' - Washington Times September 26, 2016Washington TimesSocial justice warriors invade University of Kansas debate on 'safe spaces'Washington TimesThat's the lesson a group of conservative students at the University of Kansas learned, when their Thursday night debate about “safe spaces” was crashed by social justice warriors, who berated their classmates as “racists” and “white supremacists” for ...
- Taking pride in efforts to stop gun violence - Wichita Eagle September 25, 2016Wichita EagleTaking pride in efforts to stop gun violenceWichita EagleThe event included volunteers with the Kansas Chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and members of Wichita's gay and lesbian community. Some carried banners, some skipped, while others walked with children in strollers. One person ...
- Wow: Students Scream, Swear at U of Kansas Classmates for Questioning Safe Spaces - Heat Street September 25, 2016Heat StreetWow: Students Scream, Swear at U of Kansas Classmates for Questioning Safe SpacesHeat StreetSocial justice warriors swarmed a debate about “safe spaces” at the University of Kansas, screaming obscenities. • The SJW's called their fellow classmates “racist” and “white supremacist” for even holding the debate. • White students were lectured ...SJW's overrun YAF meeting […]
- Transgender man sues over Indiana law blocking name change - KAKE September 24, 2016Transgender man sues over Indiana law blocking name changeKAKEINDIANAPOLIS (AP) - A transgender man granted asylum by the U.S. last year is challenging an Indiana law that prevents him from changing his first name to a male name that matches his gender identity. The 31-year-old, who was brought to Indiana from ...and more »
- This Comic May Be The First To Center Specifically Around A Trans Protagonist - Huffington Post September 26, 2016Huffington PostThis Comic May Be The First To Center Specifically Around A Trans ProtagonistHuffington PostAn important new comic book series is on the market that claims to be the first-ever mainstream superhero book to specifically focus on a transgender character as its central protagonist. Alters is a project published by AfterShock comics that is ...
- With Insurers on Board, More Hospitals Offer Transgender Surgery - Wall Street Journal September 26, 2016Wall Street JournalWith Insurers on Board, More Hospitals Offer Transgender SurgeryWall Street JournalSurgery is becoming more available for transgender people as a growing number of academic centers and hospitals offer the procedure and insurance companies provide coverage. Stacey Parsons, a 45-year-old from Kent, Ohio, had genital surgery in August ...
- New Fraternity Strives for Greater LGBT Acceptance November 8, 2015Tweet A new fraternity has joined UMKC’s campus this semester. Delta Lambda Phi is a new interest group fraternity that participates in community service, social and philanthropic events. LGBT support is one of the key factors allowing this fraternity to be different than the rest on campus. Junior Zendrix Berndt recently joined DLP. […]Jared Thompson
- Ice Cream Social serves up sugary introductions: Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services hold 9th annual event to raise awareness for LGBT programs September 8, 2014Tweet Pride Alliance and LGBTQIA Programs & Services co-sponsored the 9th annual Welcome Week Ice Cream Social on Aug. 28 in the University Walkway. Kona Ice served tropical flavored shaved ice to interested students from a company truck parked in the walkway. Pride Alliance, the University’s LGBT student organization, hosts the Ice Cream Social with […]Tory Foulk