The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), a non-profit Quaker-based peace and justice organization is looking for Peace Interns.
The Intern will work with AFSC staff and volunteers to support Kansas City AFSC peace campaigns and engage youth in school, faith and high school settings in creative youth peacemaking and social change activities (e.g. All of Us or None Poster Project and If I Could Change The World spoken word project). Activities will focus on: increasing activism; promoting understanding of militarism and economic injustice; exposing how corporations and the 1% control U.S. policy; and deepen advocacy and visions of a just and peaceful world.
The Peace Intern will:
- Receive training in peacemaking, social change and conducting popular education activities;
- Recruit and involve high school -aged youth in peace trainings, creative social change projects and peace building campaigns;
- Help develop AFSC program materials that appeal to youth and young adults and utilize Twitter, Facebook and other social media to educate and involve youth in KC AFSC program activities;
- Support KC AFSC peacemaking campaigns and activities
- Being at least 18 years of age
- Ability to engage youth from diverse groups and economic status
- Experience in organizing projects and working collaboratively with others
- Commitment to peace and social justice
- Ability to utilize social media for education and organizing campaigns
- Leadership experience, effective oral and written communication and ability to understand and accept diverse points of view
- Flexibility required to allow for varied meeting/activity schedules
A stipend of $10/hour will be provided.
Applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP.
If interested, submit a cover letter and resume including:
- Why do you want to be an AFSC Peace Intern?
- What skills and experiences would you bring to the position?
Send inquiries to:
American Friends Service Committee
4405 Gillham Rd., KCMO 64110
Email: email@example.com; (include “Peace intern” in subject line)
Office: (816) 931-5256