By Ann Varner
Currently the UMKC Women’s Center has three open positions for work-study students. If you have a work-study award, passion for feminism, enjoy working with others, and working fun events such as “Crafty Feminist Friday,” please apply! Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Identify needs of individual and appropriately assist with questions or concerns at front desk.
- Politely greet students and guests to provide quality customer service; answer phones.
- Assess questions; offer solutions or additional resources such as a manager to assist.
- Demonstrate professionalism in a confidential setting.
- Implement existing/new tasks, projects and/or ideas with accuracy and enthusiasm.
- Promote services by serving as an representative through conversations with fellow students.
- Data entry, mailing and other clerical duties as assigned.
- Open/Close office responsibilities as needed.
- Writing at least one blog per week on a relevant women’s issue.
- Helping to manage the Women’s Center social media pages.
Working at the Women’s Center for the past few years has not only opened my eyes, but also many doors of opportunity. Over the years, I’ve learned to love myself and become confident in my decisions. I have been challenged more than any other job I’ve had, which has helped me to grow into a better employee and person. I’ve had amazing co-workers who have become friends. I’ve been able to participate in events that I am passionate about and became educated on feminism and women’s issues.
If any of this sounds like a place you want to work, please apply at this link.
Directions for applying:
- Select “handshake” where you will be directed to complete multiple steps – it is not necessary to complete them if you do not wish to.
- Once you get to the homepage of handshake, at the top of the page will be a link to “work-study positions.” Click on that link, which will then redirect you to log into the UM system.
- After you log into that system, you may search through the available jobs. You can directly go to “Women’s Center” under departments and will find the job listing with more details and how to apply.