Goodbye, Women’s Center!

By: Anel Sandoval

As an intern who didn’t know any of the staff before starting, I was very nervous about what to expect this semester. I was surprised to find out that I would meet some of the best people I’ve ever worked with. I felt so welcomed and that it was exactly where I was meant to be. I am so thankful to have spent my last semester interning at the Women’s Center, expanding my knowledge on gender equity, and learning new skills that I will carry with me in my future career.

The Women’s Center is a safe place where I was able to express my feelings without any judgement. I’m going to miss the staff so much. I am thankful they understood my sarcastic humor and tolerated my obnoxious laugh – because they made me laugh a lot! I’ll miss discussing the movies we recently watched with Arzie. I will miss discussing our favorite childhood Barbie movies with Emma. I will miss talking about Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, and Tik-Toks with Anabelle. I will miss my “mom”, AKA, our wonderful grad assistant Alison, who we went to for help, to vent, and to laugh with.

I will miss Crystal who has been my other half this semester as we are in the same journey as we complete our last semester at UMKC as health sciences majors. I couldn’t do it without her! Name a better duo, I’ll wait. Last, but not least, I will miss Chelsea, who is the perfect new fit to the Women’s Center as the new Sr. Program Coordinator.

For those who are joining the Women’s Center’s staff in upcoming semesters, just know you are in good hands. Good luck to everyone!