Sad Goodbyes and New Beginnings

Image Source: Wiki Commons

By: Laura Yac

It is crazy to say, but my journey here at UMKC has almost officially come to an end. In a few shorts weeks I will be a college graduate which means my time at the Women’s Center is also coming to an end. To be honest, leaving the Women’s Center will be the hardest part of this journey. When starting college, I worked full time, so I never got to experience what many say are “the best four years of your life.”

I never really went out of my way to make too many friends or experience much around campus, util I joined the Women’s Center staff. This last semester I was able to be surrounded by individuals who I genially enjoyed seeing every day. I was able to have so many great conversations and enjoy many laughs. I was finally attend events on a regular basis and get to see all the behind the scenes.  

With this internship opportunity I was able to learn so much and grow every single day. I gained much needed valuable experience that I know will help me once I start my career. For that I have to thank everyone here at the Women’s Center who always were there to help with a great attitude! As I write this post, I hold back tears (I can blame the pregnancy hormones for that one).

It is very bittersweet, but I know we are all meant to do great things. As I plan to leave Kansas City and start a new journey, I will always remember my semester here at the Women’s Center.