It’s Not Goodbye, It’s See Ya Later!

By: Alyssa Bradley

Before the beginning of my internship, I was clueless about the happenings brought on by UMKC Women’s Center. As we approach the end of my time here I want to reflect on all the ways the center has helped me develop into a more well-rounded individual. I’ve been afforded many dazzling weeks of working alongside the other interns and workers to craft the center into a beacon of safety and an oasis for the people at UMKC. The community and engagement elements of this organization have got to be the thing I cherish the most out of this internship opportunity. My favorite experience from the semester was during one of our booths called Crafty Feminism. A student remarked how this was exactly what they needed to turn their day around and to see that impact happen before my eyes was inspirational.

The Women’s Center has given me such a unique experience to grow and challenge myself in ways I never would have imagined. There is no doubt that the Women Center’s mission has unlocked a new passion for gender equity and equality. I hope through my efforts on social media and inside the center, students and community members can recognize how important a place like this is to society. The representation, resources, and amenities provided by the Women’s Center are something I am certainly happy to say I’ve been a part of. The leaders and foundation at this organization were extremely supportive of all my creative and educational endeavors. I cannot wait to see where my professional path takes me after my time spent here. I will hold the Women’s Center at UMKC in a special spot in my heart to encourage me when times get rough and to look back and be confident in all that I can do. I have been forever changed for the better, thank you UMKC Women’s Center.