Welcome Back From Taylor Michl, Women’s Center Graduate Assistant

• by

By Taylor Michl

Happy Spring semester to you all! Allow me to reintroduce myself: I’m Taylor Michl, and I have had the pleasure of serving as the Graduate Assistant at UMKC Women’s Center since August.

Last semester, I was lucky to take part in executing tons of Women’s Center programs, including in-person events and social media campaigns. I’m excited for the programs we’re planning this semester – we’ll be recognizing Black History Month, Women’s History Month, Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and more through our programming.

I am a graduate student in UMKC’s Mental Health Counseling and Preparing Future Faculty Fellowship programs. Outside of school and the Women’s Center, I am lucky to be conducting research about the lived experiences of transgender and gender non-conforming adults. I live with three very cute cats and my partner in Midtown KC.

One thing that may surprise some people is that, although I proudly work at the Women’s Center, I don’t identify as a woman – I use they/them pronouns and am a genderqueer person. What I love about the Women’s Center is that we are dedicated to advocacy, education, and support for all people – not just women. We talk a lot about the ways gender inequity and gender roles impact transgender women and men, cisgender women and men, and people who identify outside of the gender binary. So, if you are looking for a safe space to drink free coffee, work on homework, or practice self-care this semester, you are welcome here – regardless of your gender identity or expression.