Meet Our Newest Work-Study Student

By Jetzel Chavira

Hi, my name is Jetzel Chavira (she/her) and I am a sophomore at UMKC majoring in Art History and minoring in Latinx and Latino studies. I am originally from Wyandotte in Kansas City, Kansas. I live on campus and living in the heart of the city has made it easier for me to get around town and I can walk to my classes.

I hope to earn my PHD and specialize possibly in Latino/Chicano photography. My dream is to become a curator at an art museum and to curate diverse and representative art. I remember when I was little going to art museums and never seeing any art that I could relate to. I want to change that and truly curate art that underrepresented communities can connect with. I am a Mellon Curatorial Fellow working under the curator of photography at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and taking the first steps to achieve that goal.

In my free time I like to watch movies, go out with friends, and work on my photography. I am beyond excited to be working at the Women’s Center. As a first generation Mexican American woman, I am passionate about advocating women’s rights and am excited to continue this work through the Women’s Center.