Feeling Loved

By Ace Garrett

The lovely lady on the left is my grandma. My brother and I have loved her with our whole hearts since we were little kids. She is kind, smart, independent, and incredibly generous. When we were young, she would take us to Chuck E. Cheese, watch movies with us, and put us to sleep with back rubs and her own made-up bedtime stories.

Before I can even remember, our grandma would call my brother and I sunshine. “How are you doing, sunshine?” she’d ask. In our eyes, this became her trademark, so we’ve always called her Grandma Sunshine. (I was quite surprised to learn that this is not, in fact, her name). 

As a grown woman I have been incredibly lucky to still have a close relationship with her. She was the first person I came out to after my brother and parents, and she has more faith in me and my identity than anyone else. She and I spend weekends together, we go out for lunch, we talk on the phone, and my family and I visit her to watch football in the Fall. Recently, I have been calling her more often. I have been having a hard time feeling connected to people, and feeling like anyone is in the bleachers cheering me on. But Grandma Sunshine didn’t hesitate to tell me I can call her any time to tell her anything. She really wants to stay up to date with me, and that means a lot. 

Grandma Sunshine has always made me feel loved, heard, and like I am worthy of her time. I believe that feeling wanted by those around us is really important to self-worth and mental health, and it isn’t always easy to feel that way. Thankfully, my grandma taught me what it should feel like, what it feels like to be loved. 

This is only one of the infinite things I have learned thanks to my grandma, but it has been an especially comforting lesson this semester. I know I have her to lean on, and I know what that should feel like as I make new friends and pursue new relationships. I implore you all to make sure your loved ones feel your love and support. And I hope you have someone in your life who always makes you feel like you belong. That is a gift indeed. 

This story is part of Her Life as Art: Coming Together Through Grandmother Stories, a unique, multi-dimensional, week-long series of events celebrating the wisdom and legacy of the grandmother figures in our lives, taking place Nov. 6 – 12, 2021 at the Kansas City United Church of Christ, 205 W. 65th St. KCMO, 64113. We invite you to view the art exhibit and attend other related events. For details, please visit www.kcucc.org.

1 thought on “Feeling Loved”

1. Heartwarming! A beautiful tribute to Grandmothers. We underestimate the power love has in the world. It’s should been used freely and often. Caring is a wonderful feeling.