By Morgan Clark
Kansas City has quite a few local businesses that one can check out, especially with the weather warming up. Here are 5 women-owned businesses that caught my eye and that I wanted to share with others.
- Café Cà Phê- Owned by Jackie Nguyen, a Vietnamese- American. Born and raised in California, Jackie moved to New York City to pursue her career in broadway. Ten years after she relocated here in Kansas City. That’s when she built Café Cà Phê, a mobile café specialized in authentic Vietnamese coffee. Serving classic coffee with a twist, like their Paris By Night Latte. Which includes rose syrup, mocha sauce, Vietnamese espresso, milk and mocha. Located at Firebrand Collective 1101 Mulberry St Kansas City, MO 64101. Their hours are 9am- 4pm Tuesday- Friday and 10am- 4pm Saturdays.
- The Mixx– is Kansas City’s first fresh fast casual restaurant, located in the Country Club Plaza and Hawthorne Plaza. Owned by Jo Marie Scagila, a daughter of local restaurateurs. Growing up in an Italian family she was surrounded by food made from scratch. She moved to San Francisco where she got her influences from the farmer’s market and the health consciousness of the people of San Francisco. She moved back to Kansas City and worked at a flower shop while catering from her house. During that time she created a business plan for her restaurant. Now after 11 years you can visit and possible get their famous salads and bowls.
- Elevate Esthetics Parlor– is owned by Sara Ivancic- Rieman, where she offers various service to enhance your body aesthetics. She has been in the business for ten years and focus on quality experiences for her clients. You can go there for facials, lash tent or waxes. They are open Tuesday – Friday, located in downtown Kansas City.
- Bodyscape Boudoir– This is a space to embrace your body and sexuality. Jessica Elizabeth is the #1 boudoir photographer here in Kansas City. Struggling to find her own confidence she became passionate in photography and found her confident in boudoir. Soon body positivity has become very important to her. One can see that from the varies of body type she had shoot. Giving a space for women to feel beautiful, embracing and accepting their body no matter what size. Bodyscape Boudoir has won several awards for their studio. The are full for this year but have opening for 2022.
- Sisterhood Subscription Box– When one signs up for a Sisterhood Box they will receive products from minority business women owners from Kansas City. Products can vary from candies, skincare products or a sweet snack. Created by Tristie she wanted to find a way to empower women and decide to create this. Where she can help expand their clientele and give them a platform to share their products. Even her boxes are from an all-women company.