Introducing Lara Castillo

Photo of intern Lara CastilloHello Everyone! My name is Lara Castillo. I am in the Health Sciences Field and currently approaching my last semester at UMKC. I have two dogs named Peanut and Rocky. We enjoy going to dog parks, on warmer days, of course. And I love traveling and exploring the outdoors with my husband. My secret hobby is video games in my spare time.

The career path I want to go into is social work. I plan to further my education and explore going into law. I chose UMKC to attend because of its diverse and welcoming student population. I believe that experiences and our surroundings are an integral part of growth and, being at this institution has allowed me to explore an environment that lets students thrive.

I am an intern this Spring 2021 at the UMKC Women’s Center. The mission statement of this entity uplifts women everywhere which, is one of my goals. I believe that the same opportunities and resources should be available for women to show that we value our mothers, sisters, aunts, nieces, and friends. This semester, I hope to gain more wisdom with women’s issues to better advocate for women.