Brianna’s Reflection on Fall Semester

• by

By Brianna Green

As my first semester at UMKC and the Women’s Center winds down, there’s a lot of things to reflect on.

The first thing to talk about is the impact the pandemic has had. Unfortunately, as all of us know, this has pushed classes online and has restricted in-person events on campus. Half of my classes were on Zoom and the others were asynchronous. Because of this, I haven’t met my classmates nor have had the chance to really get to know my professors.

For the first part of the semester, I was working on site once a week. Because I was on campus, I got to see how many students were not there. Haag hall was quiet and I felt like I was working in an empty building. Most of our events have been virtual so I wasn’t able to meet and interact with all the awesome people who’ve shown up to them.

As depressing as all of that might sound, I’m really happy and I still feel close to my new school and community. Being at the Women’s Center has allowed me to explore campus and get familiar with its’ layout. I’ve been able to meet the other students who work at the center with me, and I have to say, I’ve worked with some pretty awesome ladies – especially our blog editor April, she’d helped me a lot with my blogs this semester. Not only that but I have had the pleasure of working with the residential halls and on some of our virtual events.

Outside of the Women’s Center, I joined Psychology Club and became their Secretary. At my off-campus job I’ve become very friendly with my coworkers and feel confident in my position. I’ve still been able to go out, social distantly, and explore KC a little bit. I know my way to Walmart without getting lost so that’s an accomplishment in my book.

All that being said, I’m looking forward to spring semester! I can’t wait for all the programs we’re going to do. I’m excited to learn more about UMKC, the Women’s Center, and my major, psychology. And, finally, I’m looking forward to better weather and 2020 to be over.