Farewell Women’s Center

By Abbie Lewis

This semester I was a program intern at the Women’s Center and I really enjoyed it! When I applied for the internship, I have to admit, I didn’t really know what to expect or if I would like it or if it would just be something I needed to do for graduation. Little did I know what a talented, motivated, and all around amazing group of girls I would meet and get the opportunity to work beside.

My role as a program intern was to find programs either from past years or help develop new ones and organize and host them throughout the semester. My big program was our annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes which was a one mile walk throughout campus to raise awareness for gender based awareness. Covid definitely made an attempt to ruin this event but I think we did an amazing job of making it a safe and socially distant event after all, taking away new things to do for years to come! I also worked on a couple more programs, one to do with voter education since this was a big election year, and the other on loving your body and overall body positivity. Both events were social media based and I think did well.

I really loved working with all the girls on all our projects and things this semester. Everyone is so smart and hardworking and always ready to lend a hand. I feel very blessed to have met all these fine ladies and know they will all go on to do big things. I learned a lot about event planning, writing blogs, and feminism this semester and I know I can take all of that with me to my future endeavors. Overall, I am so glad I had this opportunity and would highly recommend an internship with the Women’s Center!