April Brown Joins the Women’s Center as the New Blog Editor!

By April Brown

Hello Everyone! Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! My name is April Brown, I am 22 years old, and in my last semester of my undergraduate career at UMKC. I am majoring in English with an emphasis on Creative Writing as well as double minoring in Manuscript Editing and Print Culture and Writing. Writing has been my passion since I first learned to hold a pencil.  Artists are kind of bred in my family as my mother draws, my sisters paint and sketch respectively, and my brother is musically inclined. I found my home within the pages of a notebook. I used to feel inferior to my siblings because I was unable to create visual and auditory masterpieces the way they could, but in my senior year of high school it was pointed out to me by an English teacher that my ability to create was a combination of all things visual and auditory. I created whole worlds with my words.

I am excited to begin a new path after school, but I am also a little sad to know my time at UMKC is coming to an end. I can’t think of a better way to end it though, than by working for the UMKC Women’s Center. Not only does this opportunity open doors for me to start doing work that is extremely relevant for my career path and life choices, such as editing the blogs for the semester, but it also allows me to submerge myself in campus and community life with the events and programs we have planned this year! In a social climate such as the one we are living in now, there is no better time than now to become involved and learn more about the issues within your community.

There isn’t anything quite normal about this school year but I hope to use that uncertainty to shake up a few things in the name of progress, and the Women’s center is going to be a wonderful place to start such processes. I am beyond excited to start my new work with the Women’s Center, and with our community.