I’m Kyra, It’s Great to Meet You!

Hello readers! My name is Kyra Crabtree (although I like to go by Kyra Charles whenever possible), and I’m a senior at UMKC who will serve as the new blog editor intern. I’m an English major with emphasis in creative writing, and a theatre minor with an emphasis in acting. This May, I’ll be getting my Bachelors of Arts in English with honors. I’m proud of the person UMKC has helped me to become, as the staff and students have always made me feel like my goals were not impossible. I’ve allowed myself to go above and beyond while living in Kansas City, learning not just from the classroom, but from the artistic city life far beyond what I could get in my hometown of Oak Grove.

For me, the Women’s Center has always emanated a feeling not just of feminist urgency, but a sense of comfort and camaraderie. They know the major issues, but also are willing to go one step at a time and try to provide for everyone who needs them. I’m happy that I can use my skills from both my major and my minor for the women’s center, not only blogging for them but performing in the Vagina Monologues as well. I hope I can share my knowledge, experience, and sense of humor on this blog while learning new things myself. My major interests are movies, history, fiction, politics, rock n roll, and animals, so those will probably occur quite regularly in my posts. Lets get started!