Sports Management Intern Reflects On Her Time At The Women’s Center

By Olivia Brzozowski

My time at the Women’s Center was short, fun and flew by! It seems like just yesterday I was coming up with ideas of where I wanted to intern for my Master’s program, and deciding to reach out to the Women’s Center. I thought the Women’s Center would be a great place to intern because it could allow me to tie two topics together that I am passionate about: women’s equity and sports. I am currently a GA in the Student-Athlete Support Services Office with Kansas City Athletics, and have always felt empowered as a woman working in a male-dominated field.

I decided to try something a little different by interning somewhere not directly related to athletics, but could allow me to integrate the two. So, this semester, that’s what I did. I was put in charge of a new programming event called Roo Up with the Women’s Center to promote UMKC female student-athletes. It was a great success and I am so happy the events went so well. I enjoyed getting to work other events, such as Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, and helping with auditions for the Vagina Monologues. I learned a lot throughout the semester and meeting and working with new people was a great experience. Everyone here is so supportive and encouraging. The Women’s Center was a great way for me to de-stress from other stressors in my life, and was such a comforting place to work. Lastly, I can’t believe my time here is already up, but I will definitely pay many visits to the Women’s Center next semester (also my last semester of grad school, woot!!)