Theater student joins Women’s Center staff

By Michelle Lawson

Hello! My name is Michelle Lawson. I am a double theatre and history major with a minor in women’s and gender studies. I am in my third year at UMKC where, in addition to being an intern at the Women’s Center, I work as a Campus Ambassador with the Office of admissions. Most of my time is spent doing theatre: I do stage management, scenic design, and props. I am also the president of the University Theatre Association. Our first show this year just ended, and I had the privilege of designing the set. I am also a member of the UMKC College Democrats, where I help advocate for the environment, the LGBTQ+ community, and help to better Kansas City as a whole.

I chose to intern at the Women’s Center this semester because I want to do everything that I can to help the women in my community. Part of that is to make sure this major resource for women on campus and in the community is fully staffed and operational. I am also very excited to help work on the 2020 production of the Vagina Monologues, which I think connects all of my areas of interest into one project. I cannot wait to start working at the Women’s Center this semester!