A Semester in Reflection by the Women’s Center’s Brittany Soto

The end of my last semester at UMKC has finally arrived and my graduation is fast approaching. I can’t help but feel an overwhelming sense of emotion when I look back at everything I’ve learned and accomplished during my time as a student at UMKC and as a work-study student at the UMKC Women’s Center. One of the reasons I chose UMKC was because of the diversity and the different types of events that are hosted throughout campus. I remember how much I wanted to be a part of some of these events that were going on, especially the ones that were advocating and raising awareness for something. As a psychology major, one of the things I’m most passionate about, is helping others, or being a part of a community that makes a positive impact on others. This is why I was ecstatic when I first got the job at the Women’s Center as a work-study student.

I joined the UMKC Women’s Center in February of this year. I haven’t worked at the center for very long, but I can already say that working at the Women’s Center has helped me gain knowledge and understanding about the different issues that women face, issues that I never even noticed before. I also gained knowledge and understanding about the accomplishments and contributions that women have made in our society.

When I first joined the UMKC Women’s Center, this was at the time when they were about to do their annual Vagina Monologue event. The Vagina Monologue event was the first event that I assisted with and the one that had the most profound impact on me. I got to listen to women from different backgrounds address topics such as rape, body image, and genital mutilation, along with sexual experiences and various other women-related topics, it was very moving for me. I also enjoyed listening to monologues that made me laugh until my stomach started hurting. It was rewarding for me to know that I contributed to an event that advocated and empowered women.

Another thing I’ve enjoyed, during my time at the Women’s Center was getting to know each and every one of my co-workers on a personal and professional level. I’ve had the pleasure of getting to work with a group of incredible women and I loved that we are able to share that same passion for advocating, educating, and empowering women, while working together to implement that passion into the events and projects we were assigned throughout this semester. So far, being a work-study student at the UMKC Women’s Center has given me the experiences to help me grow as an individual and as a woman, even in the short amount of time that I’ve been here. I will be doing a summer work-study at the UMKC Women’s Center and I’m looking forward to what I will get to learn and experience in the remainder of the time I’m here.