Nina’s Semester in Review

By Nina Cherry

Nina volunteering at Walk a Mile in Her Shoes in September.

As the year comes to a close, I’d like to reflect on my semester here at the Women’s Center. In August, I moved out of a tiny town of 220 people, immersed myself into the culture of Kansas City, and joined the Women’s Center staff in early September. Coming from somewhere so small, there were a few learning curves along the way, but I adjusted rapidly and found my place at UMKC and the Women’s Center. I have built a great sense of community!

In addition to this being my first semester at the Women’s Center, it was also my first semester of college. I have learned and grown so much as an individual this semester, and I look forward to continuing this growth in such a wonderful environment next semester.

Throughout the semester I took on more responsibility. Mid-semester I took over the Healing Arts Corners, found in several offices in Atterbury Student Success Center, The Rainbow Lounge, Student Health and Wellness, and of course, the Women’s Center. I look forward to continuing the Healing Arts Corners next semester.

This semester, I learned quite a bit about where and why there is gender inequity in many areas – especially in the workforce, and specifically within the arts. I also learned a lot about myself, and have been on a journey to find out what empowers me. Writing weekly blogs required a bit of research. I read countless articles on women’s issues. I am much more knowledgeable from doing this week after week.

I’m already excited for another semester at the Women’s Center!